Hello from Ohio

goldleaf

Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:05 pm

Hello Everyone,

My name is Nancy. I joined TG a few weeks ago and, WOW, what a great place this is! I've been playing for a couple of years and would say I am at beginner/intermediate level...can do some technically difficult stuff and struggle with some easy stuff...hmmm. I tried taking private lessons for a couple of months. That didn't fair well for me. I spent more time listening to my instructor play his guitar than anything else. The day I questioned why I was bothering to take my guitar was the day I quit. He was not a good teacher...nothing like Neil! (Great musician though.)

Neil and I must have very similar tastes in music. I love so much of what he is teaching...Neil Young, Pink Floydd, Grateful Dead, James Taylor, Elton John, and so on. The first song I tried to learn on the guitar was Embryonic Journey, how hilarious is that. I'm looking forward to revisiting that disaster in a few years!

I am very interested in music theory so when the Genius Series went up that was a wonderful surprise. The content that is up already in that series is enough to keep me busy for the next year.

I've been reading through the forum posts over the past couple of weeks and you all seem like a really nice, diverse, group of people. I'm not typically one to post to forums...so that must say something. I also noticed that Matt is very in touch with the members...that's remarkable. Good for you Matt!

Well again, Hello to everyone and best wishes!

Lavallee

Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:11 pm

Hi Nancy, welcome aboard from Canada, glad you decided to join the forum and that you took the time to introduce yourself. We are in agreement with the music selection.

Marc

TGMatt

Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:13 pm

Welcome nancy...

Hope you enjoy the new Xmas series..

haoli25

Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:17 pm

Hi Nancy. We are glad to have you with us. If you need any help or have any questions, just ask. Please share your tricks, tips, and opinions too. :)

Bill

AcousticAl

Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:29 pm

Hi Nancy,

Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride!
Looking forward to your posts and participation.

Al

__m__

Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:37 pm

Hello from Missouri fellow Midwest member!

tovo

Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:38 pm

Hi Nancy from Australia, glad to have you here with us. I liked your introduction and particularly your point about great musicians not necessarily making great teachers. That is an art in itself and Neil is an accomplished teacher, not just a great player. Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself and hope to hear more from you on the forum.

Chasplaya

Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:46 pm

HI Nancy Warm welcome to TG from Chas In New Zealand. We certainly are a diverse group of people, helps make life interesting to say the least. Hope to hear more from you on the Forums, as you can learn heaps from here also.

regards

Chas

BigBear

Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:44 am

Hi Nancy- well we covered a lot of the world with hellos! Big welcome from Oregon, home of very weird people and beautiful scenery! Did you tell us where you live? I noticed Midwest but perhaps I missed where.

Your story about your ex-instructor is all too common. Just because they can play doesn't mean they can teach. But Neil is the real deal; both a gifted musician and a wonderful teacher. Those people who live close to him are lucky.

If you ever need anything just let us, everyone here is really helpful and supportive.

Good luck with your musical journey and don't be a stranger on the forum!

Cheers! :cheer: Rick

AndyT

Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:39 am

BigBear wrote:
Big welcome from Oregon, home of very weird people and beautiful scenery!
Well, he is finally starting to admit he has an actual problem... Be kind... LOL Rick, Check the title of the thread. "Ohio"

Nancy! Welcome form the land of Aloha! Glad to see we are friendly enough that you felt comfy posting. If you ever need anything, just post!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic