Hello from central Wisconsin, USA.

Hydroman52

Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:50 pm

I live about two hours north of Madison, our state capitol, in Wisconsin, USA with my crazy dog, who likes to roll in whatever toxic waste he can find. He’s also my avatar for this site.

The first time I played a guitar was when I was about 7 or 8 years old. I found an old guitar in a closet, grabbed my dad’s ancient wire recorder, and wrote and recorded a song. Nothing too complicated . . . . . . . it was about hotdogs and hamburgers and went something like this . . . .

Hotdogs are good.
Hamburgers too.
If you like 'em both,
I'll save one for you.

CHORUS

And they're so cold (background vocals here "So cold, so cold")
'til you put them on the grill.
You just flip 'em and move 'em around
'til you had your fill.

It was all a bit scary, because I didn’t have permission to use the gear, although, when I finally told my dad, he said it was okay, and I could use his stuff any time. So that was cool. I got more serious about playing in high school, joined some neighborhood garage bands, and sat in on open jam sessions. From then on, I always had a guitar around and never turned down an opportunity to play. Then I went into one of those same-old-story things. After getting married, the opportunities got fewer, friends got busy with other things, blah blah blah, and the guitar sat in its case more and more . . . . . . until . . . . . I was sitting around a campfire in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula and someone shoved a guitar into my hands and asked if I knew how to play. Oh, boy! Need I say more? Now my interest is rekindled and here I am with you. Not a bad place to be, wouldn’t you say?

I just realized that I’m 52 years old. Doing the math puts my most impressionistic high school years in the early 70s. So, naturally, I like Steely Dan, Neil Young, The Band, Jimmy Buffet, Eagles (Desperado - best), Credence Clearwater Revival, etc. but I’m also up for learning newer artists like Corrine Bailey Rae, Maroon 5 (acoustic versions), etc. Up until this new fangled Internet thing came along, I learned most of my songs from books, records, and others who had learned songs from books and records. So, I have a lot of bad habits that will probably follow me to the grave.

It would be good to learn some theory and, maybe, write another song. Perhaps one about ketchup and mustard.

haoli25

Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:01 pm

Welcome Hydroman. It's good to have you with us. Anyone that would write a song about hotdogs and hamburgers is alright in my book! :) If you have any questions, please ask. When you have a chance, check out some of the Community Groups too.

Bill

reiver

Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:05 pm

Nice intro hydroman - I think that it would fit for about 75% of the people on the site so you should fit right in.

Looking forward to chatting here on the forum.

r

tovo

Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:20 pm

Nice intro Hydroman. I'd be very keen to hear the story behind such a cool name. "Hydroman" sounds suspiciously like a Justice League of America superhero.

I'm VERY suspicious of hotdogs myself...and why are hamburgers so named when there is no ham in them? So many mysteries.

Welcome anyway from WAY down South.

BigBear

Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:29 pm

Hydroman- Welcome again from the Beaver State to the Badger State!! Thanks so much for the great intro! You're going to fit in well with all us 50-somethings! Glad to have you with us!

Cheers! :cheer:

webtvdan

Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:28 am

Fun intro, great story. Welcome! So many resources here you're gonna flip out, its like paradise. Like flippin' a cheeseburger in Paradise.

Hmm... kinda reminds me of a song ....

:P

nemastetaylor

Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:33 am

Welcome. I love the state of Wi. I have alot of good memories from when i lived there 10 years ago. Wow, that 10 years flew by. I'll pass on the meat songs since I don't eat meat. Yeah, that went over well in Wi the land of Brats. Again welcome to totally guitars. It's a great site.

Nemaste

AndyT

Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:17 am

Aloha from Paradise!
I think a few of the members here will want to know why you posted their introduction. Its very much like most of ours in one way or another. One of these days, I might put a few of them together into one super intro and we can all just sign it. LOL

Nice to have you here.

Chasplaya

Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:41 am

Welcome Hydroman, great intro. Looking forward to your contributions to the site. And were waiting on the 'Album' 'Can I Have Fries With That?'

regards

Chas

willem

Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:51 am

Hey HYDRO,welcome, friendship is the key word here,glad you find the site and looking forwards to your own songs to,,,BBQ SONGS,, sometimes i have a hamburger, a cheap one without the sauces...cheers!!!!cheeeeeeeeeeeeeseeeeee.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic