New member from Florida

beak

Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:05 am

Hi folks - I am 61 yrs. young, retired from the Air Force, and have been playing for over 25 yrs. I play a Martin HD-28, and a Les Paul copy electric. My favorite genre's of music are folk (J. Taylor, Fogelberg, H. Chapin, Croce, PP&M, Gordon Lightfoot etc), and older instrumentals for electric (Ventures, Dire Straits etc.). I recently fractured my spine in 2 places and just underwent right shoulder rebuild (I'm falling apart). My playing went really downhill, as I lost most feeling on my left side. I have been actively doing the lessons (1-5) for the past week, and have gained confidence in my playing ability again. I have had numerous instruction, but none as "down to earth" as Neil's. Thanks for the renewed interest in music. I still ride motorcycles, shoot trap, and flyfish. Beak

TGMatt

Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:17 am

Welcome ..Im "stuck" in Orlando today as well...great to have you on board

Moondog

Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:43 pm

beak wrote:
I still ride motorcycles, shoot trap, and flyfish.
Welcome from Beautiful Western Washington

I haven't shot trap in a while (as a kid I was the one in the hole loading the trap) but motorcycles and fly fishing are 2 of my biggest passions.

Glad you found us

Mike

Moondog

Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:44 pm

beak wrote:
I still ride motorcycles, shoot trap, and flyfish.
Welcome from Beautiful Western Washington

I haven't shot trap in a while (as a kid I was the one in the hole loading the trap) but motorcycles and fly fishing are 2 of my biggest passions.

Glad you found us

Mike

BigBear

Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:53 pm

Beak, big welcome from Oregon! Man, are you going to fit in here with all of us 50 and 60-year olds trying to start or re-start our passion for the guitar.

What part of the country are you from? I'm guessing out West somewhere due to your hobbies of trap shooting and fly fishing. I love both those sports plus skeet (which I picked up in the Army) and sporting clays. I'm just getting into clays and man is that a challenging sport! I've always considered nyself a pretty good shot with all firearms but clays will really humble you!

I really enjoy fly fishing the rivers and lakes of Oregon and the occasionally trip to Montana and British Columbia. Never enough time to float a Royal Wulff or Elk Hair Caddis on a small stream or a Red Butt Skunk or Streetwalker on the Deschutes River!! But I digress!

There is a ton of great info available on this site. More than I will get to in years! But the people are really the highlight of the site. All of us struggle to get better on this instrument we all love so much and it's great to share that with each other.

Let us know if we can every help you out and good luck recovering from your surgeries. That doesn't sound like much fun at all!

Cheers! :cheer:

goldleaf

Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:22 pm

Beak, glad to have you. I have 2 years on you and I have have cut back my work to 1/2 time about a year ago for medical reasons. Sounds like the music you mentioned is right in there as far as what I'm interested in and I think that goes for the majority of TG members. If you have been actively playing for the last 25 years -your medical time off. Are you proficient at most of the songs listed of TG?? It seems like most of us played at one time or off and on for years but never really completed most of the songs we started for lack of instruction or some other reason. For me I'm learning many of my favorite songs that I never would have attempted before, mostly because I haven't played for many years with any degree of seriousness or purpose. Thank goodness for TG. Gary

tovo

Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:38 pm

Hi Beak from down in Australia. You have certainly come to the right place, the background you have described fits a high percentage of the membership of TG so you will find you have plenty in common with many of us. Welcome and enjoy!

neverfoundthetime

Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:04 pm

Welcome Beak from Switzerland, glad you found us... sounds like you'll fit in perfectly here. Enjoy the site and look forward to seeing you around. Glad you met Bear already. Bear is usually the welcome wagon. You'll have to explain the FLORIDA part of your NEW MEMBER FROM FLORIDA post!!! ;-)

wrench

Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:39 pm

Welcome aboard, Beak. Don't worry about the age thing, we don't hold your youth against you.

Sorry to hear of your mishaps. That's a tough way to get some practice time!

wrench

dennisg

Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:39 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Welcome Beak from Switzerland, glad you found us... sounds like you'll fit in perfectly here. Enjoy the site and look forward to seeing you around. Glad you met Bear already. Bear is usually the welcome wagon. You'll have to explain the FLORIDA part of your NEW MEMBER FROM FLORIDA post!!! ;-)
Haha! I was wondering if someone was going to comment on that.

Welcome, Beak. You're going to love it here.

- Dennis (in Seattle)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic