How about 'The Boxer'?

bigmo

Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:25 pm

Ok The Boxer by Simon and Garfunkle... a classic.

It 'seems' to have a typical travis picking attack on the guitar strings but when I play it... hmmm, it 'kinda' sounds right but also sounds like I'm missing something.

I suspect that both Garfunkel and Simon are playing their guitars to get that rich guitar sound the song is famous for.

Anybody else have any input on the best way to play this tune?

AndyT

Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:11 pm

Ummm.... Play the CD? Thats how I get the best sounding version of it. LOL

Sorry... LOL

I think its going to be one of those, "Learn to play like Tommy Emmanuel' songs. Multiple parts to combine. Great tune though. I really like this one.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:35 pm

Bigmo! To play this right.... you gotta dress up like the real thing first... (see photo below) that's me and a good guitar friend in '85 dressed for the song. Sounds better like that! :-) Image

Notice that my friend is actually playing the guitar... I'm just holding it!!

dennisg

Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:48 pm

Which one are you?

- Dennis (in Seattle)

neverfoundthetime

Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:03 pm

The guy on the left with the shoes on his knees... I walked out on my knees to look a bit small... my friend is as tall as Art Garfunkel.
Hey, Mo, didn't want to hijack your thread!

dennisg

Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:26 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
The guy on the left with the shoes on his knees... I walked out on my knees to look a bit small... my friend is as tall as Art Garfunkel.
Hey, Mo, didn't want to hijack your thread!
The guy on the left looks like a Mini-Me version of Wilt Chamberlain. You look a lot more like the guy on the right. I'll bet the whole "walking on your knees" thing really had 'em in stitches.

We've officially declared karma points to be worthless. But you get one anyway for appearing in that photograph, and then having the courage to share it with us.

- Dennis (in Seattle)

neverfoundthetime

Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:30 pm

;-) it was a laugh Dennis.
Mo... can you post a short video of you playing the Boxer (even if it's a short part of that) so we can get an idea of what you mean and comment... that would be cool.

bigmo

Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:31 am

Ha, ha now that's funny!

Can't post a video yet as I'm still not ready for any recording on my PC.

I just love the sound of that sound and wondered if anyone had figured out the best way to get the fullness of the guitar on that LP. No biggy... thanks all.

jletourn

Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:49 am

This is a great song. Slightly off topic I was wondering if anyone knows what percussive instrument played on the studio recording makes a sound that I can only describe as a duck playing a kazoo in an accordion.
If anyone knows I would love to find out.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:01 am

It's a great sound all right Mo! Getting the alternating bass will get the bounce into it and if you can find a duck playing a kazoo (thanks jletourn ;-) ).... all you need then is the ship's foghorn blaring away on the bass notes at the crescendo plus someone cracking a whip... and you'r there! Maybe listening to the live version here will help get the sound that's more possible...

Mo, I was with friends of mine on the island of Kos 3 years ago on holiday and we played this with 3 guitars and with a drummer sitting on a special wooden box with a hole in it which he could play taping his hands... he just got that bum, bu da bum bum going and it made the whole song.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic