My name is Jake and I'm a guitar-aholic

moleboy

Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:26 pm

Almost 40 years old, originally from Scotland and now living in Northern Ireland.

I've played the electric for many, many years and got my first acoustic a few years ago. Since then I guess I spend equal time on both.

My reason for joining is to improve my playing; I've never had lessons before, and work hours wouldn't permit me to attend regular lessons with a tutor. So far it's working out great, and I like being able to teach my kids new stuff on the guitar.

The first challenge I set myself was Blackbird which turned out to be a lot easier than I thought once I watched the lessons here :-)

I'm currently working on Needle and the Damage Done, and plan to spend some time learning Neil's version of Wish You Were Here over Christmas. That's Neil from this site, not Neil Young :-)

Doing that will cross 3 songs off my "I'd love to play these songs" list I put together when I first got my acoustic.

Ultimately I'd like to be able to play Anji fluently, and some other complex folksy, finger picking stuff. And some of that ragtime stuff that Roy "Book" Binder does.

For completeness I'll list my guitar heroes: Pete Townshend, Richard Thompson, Peter Green, Rory Gallagher, Dave Gilmour, Keith Richards, Neil Young, Lightnin' Hopkins.

These guys may not be the fanciest guitar players in the world, but they sure know how to play a good song that I like to listen to.

Moondog

Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:32 pm

Hi Jake

Welcome from Western Washington
Glad you found us.

Mike

reiver

Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:35 pm

Welcome Jake, from another scot (living in England).

Good to have you on board - I'm sure that you'll learn everything that you want to here, and lots of stuff that you didn't even realise you wanted to.

r

reiver

Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:37 pm

Welcome Jake. "Guitar-aholic", i like that...lol. Hope you enjoy your time on TG and look forward to hearing from you again.

- Catfish

dennisg

Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:55 pm

Hi Jake,

Dennis here in Seattle, Washington -- the great Pacific Northwest of America where the men drink lattés, the women push Subarus, and the pasty-skinned children all dream of forming a grunge band. Or working for Microsoft. Sometimes both.

Welcome to TG, the place where free time goes to die. You're going to have a wonderful time here learning new songs, and I can only say that if you found Blackbird easier than you imagined, nothing is going to seem terribly difficult.

You may be the only person from the U.K. who doesn't think Eric Clapton walks on water. I'd put Pete Townshend on my list, too, along with Tommy Emmanuel and Doyle Dykes.

Anyway, explore the site. Poke your nose into all the crevices. Watch the videos. Support the inexperienced guitarists. And just have a great time.

- Dennis

neverfoundthetime

Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:01 pm

dennisg wrote:
Welcome to TG, the place where free time goes to die.
:laugh: Truer words have never been spoken -- especially for a guitar-aholic. As I'm sure many member's spouses will attest to, you're in good company here.

Welcome.

jdrdracing

Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:09 pm

Welcome to TG, Jake. You definately won't be disapointed with the time you spend here.

Jeff

tovo

Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:12 pm

Hi Jake from Australia. Glad to have you here. Where exactly are you in Northern Ireland? I spent some time backpacking Ireland and Derry was a real favourite of mine. In Belfast someone threw a beer bottle at me. Good news it was full, bad news I didn't catch it and anyway, I don't think it was intended for me to enjoy.

Another Scot? It's a conspiracy. Welcome aboard.

BobR

Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Welcome Jake from Massachusetts. I am sure you won't regret joining TG. It's a great place to learn and just have fun.

Bob

Chasplaya

Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:40 pm

Welcome to TG Jake from Chas a Scot living in New Zealand. Tis a great place to be mate loads to learn and loads of friends to make. I agree wholeheartedly with your list of Guitarists, surprising not much has been mentioned about Rory Gallagher her before.

Have fun

cheers

chas

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic