Greetings and Salutations from Virginia!

AndyT

Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:54 pm

Hello all! I’m Megan, I’m 28, and I’ve lived in the Northern Virginia area my entire life (for all y’all unfamiliar with my corner of the globe, the Northern Virginia area is comprised of suburbs of Washington D.C.).

I had an epiphany recently. Some history of Megan first: I grew up in a fairly musical family, and being homeschooled with several siblings and a mom all working on our own musical pursuits, there was rarely a time in our house when one wouldn’t hear some type of music being played or practiced (mostly when we were asleep, and even then…). Then I went off to college/university and, for me, it all just stopped. My school wasn’t musically inclined at all, and after that came marriage and a real job. I hardly even listened to music. My life for the past 10 years has been a musical wasteland. And then…I was stuck in traffic the other day (a common occurrence in this part of the country), and I turned on the local golden oldies station. I sang along to Kansas, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, the Beatles, and Simon and Garfunkel, and I realized how much I missed having music around and I *ached* to make music again. So here I am.

I grew up listening to the music of the 60s and 70s and have always been attracted to the sound of acoustic guitars. That being said, I am absolutely new to guitar. Before I went into the store to listen to different brands, I had held one twice in my life.

Feeling a bit lost at sea, I was exploring the different types and sounds of guitars on YouTube when I came across Neil and his TG lessons. I was immediately hooked, as his style of teaching goes especially well with my style of learning, and after checking out the site (and lurking in the forums) I was completely sold. I also felt particularly fortunate that I found y’all a few days before the TARGET monthly program closed. Truly serendipitous.

As a side note, it’s amusing to me that my preference in Taylor guitars is so vocally well-endorsed on this forum. Yay, I feel validated! (My husband, on the other hand, prefers Taylor because it looks more attractive than the others at the entry-level price point. Troglodyte)

I can’t wait to get my hands on my actual guitar and bring it home. It’s a holiday/anniversary present of sorts, so I’ve had to wait a bit, but I’ve been making good use of my time by familiarizing myself with the beginner videos and listening to copious amounts of music.

I’m nervous, and excited, and ready to jump in with both feet (or both hands in this case?). Thanks for having me, and I’m looking forward to learning with y’all. :)

Chasplaya

Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:04 pm

Hi Megan A warm welcome to TG, very good decision to join now and become a guitaraholic like the rest of us. Your taste in music is also well catered for here. And oh no not another Taylor fanatic lol, Bigbear will get on real well with you, mind you he might be disappointed as I think he might miss out on his commission for pointing you towards them lol.

ANyway hope to see you around on the forums, whilst waiting on your guitar check out the Groups a lot of useful info to be found there.

I hope you are good with time management you are going to need it.

regards

Chas

haoli25

Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:05 pm

Hello Megan. It's great to have you with us. You are going to love this site and the lessons. There are also a lot great people on this site more than willing to help you if you need it, so if you have any questions please ask.
Congratulations on your new guitar too. While you are settling in here at TG, be sure to check out some of the GROUP postings.

Bill

tovo

Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:10 pm

Hi Megan, welcome from Down Under (WAY down under!). Great introduction thanks for taking the time, it's very nice to learn something about the new members.

I certainly think you have come to the right place as an absolute beginner, you will improve quickly with a combination of practice and Neil's excellent lessons. I started playing this year myself and feel I have improved tremendously from the information at TG.

I wish you could "speak" your introduction, I absolutely love that Southern US accent.

Welcome aboard.

reiver

Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:11 pm

Hi Megan, and welcome from the UK. Good to have you here. You are very fortunate to be starting from scratch with such a good teacher. No bad habits to break. Enjoy your time here and I look forward to chatting here on the forum.

r

Lavallee

Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:16 pm

Hi Megan, welcome to TG from Canada. There are so many tools on the site, especially since you are just starting to learn, you won't have to fight with old habits and start fresh with the right method. Besides TG, you will find a lot of help within the forum, many experienced players on all aspect of music can help. Do not hesitate to give your opinion.

I know what you mean about the traffic in your area, it is great for listening to music.

Marc

TGMatt

Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:17 pm

Greetings from Myself , Neil and the TG team

AndyT

Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:19 pm

Welcome from the land of Aloha! And get a real guitar. LOL (Just kidding)

michelew

Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:48 am

Hi Megan - a big welcome from Sydney. That was a great introduction! Neil's teaching and all the great advice and support from the community will have you up and playing songs in no time. Before you know it you'll be posting your first video. I'm looking forward to that. It's great to have another woman on the site too.

See you around the forums.

Michele

mattroutley

Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:21 am

Another Hi from the UK Megan!

Keep us up to date on how your guitar is improving - I always seem to learn a lot from people who are starting from scratch (i'm self taught so i skipped a lot fo stuff to get to where i wanted to be!!)

:)

Matt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic