CA Bay Area new member

Chasplaya

Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:01 pm

Now is this a challenge for all us 'Righties' to go restring a guitar 'Lefty' and try and play it?

michelew

Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:51 pm

Welcome to TG - from Sydney. You'll love it here and be surprised by just what great value for money it is. If you're anything like me you'll be spending more and more time here - there's so much to learn and so many interesting people to meet and talk to who are all very supportive. Enjoy and see you around the forum.

reiver

Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:07 pm

Hi Jim and welcome, from the UK. Looking forward to seeing you around the forums. Hope you have a lot of fun here.....

r

haoli25

Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:21 pm

Hi Jim, welcome to TG. Glad you decided to join us. It truly is a "right-handed world", but since I have grown up watching the struggles of a brother and a sister that are "Lefties", I suggest that you "STAY LEFT". It will be much easier for you.

Bill

wammer

Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:08 pm

Hi Jim and Welcome from Ontario Canada.

So a little story to tell you.........I met someone a few weeks back that played a right handed guitar (for lack of a better way to say it)Left handed soooooooooooooo this means the strings were actully upside down to him. He as AMAZING....said him and his brother had to share a guitar while he was growing up so he did the best he could. I was blowin away by his playing So I say what ever way you learn is the way you can play. Good luck you may have a harder road to follow but follow you will. This is a great group of people to be with. And Merry Christmas to you.

Tammy

jimcjimc

Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:31 pm

Thanks to all of the warm welcomes! I know I have a tendency to be more of a lurker than an active participant in these kinds of things, but we'll see...

I do want to say that I feel comfortable with my decision to play right-handed and expect to keep playing and progressing that way. One more anecdote on that topic. When I was trying to figure out what guitar to buy (and also raised the question of left-handedness), one of the employees at Gryphon (a left-hander who had played right-handed) was very adamant that I should learn right-handed.

One of his arguments was that a left-handed person has an advantage playing a right-handed guitar in that the left hand does the hard work of forming chords and pressing on the fret-board and rapidly changing chords, etc. Of course, the counter to that argument is: if that's the case, why don't right-handers play the other way.

The other example he gave from music is the piano - another common instrument that people play with both hands - and nobody has a left-handed piano!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic