CA Bay Area new member

TGMatt

Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:57 am

jimcjimc wrote:
Goldleaf asked:
Why, if you are left handed are you trying to learn to play right handed? I can't imagine the degree of difficulty it would add for me to play with my non dominant hand. Just curious.

I definitely am a left-handed person. I write and throw and play tennis etc (even bought golf clubs that are) left-handed. When I researched the idea of playing guitar left-handed (and talked to folks at Gryphon when I bought my guitar), while there is some controversy on the topic most folks seem to recommend lefties to try to play the guitar right-handed. You can google left-handed guitar playing and read all of the pros and cons. One of the best arguments seems to be if you go to someone else's house and want to pick up a guitar, it will probably be a right handed guitar (It's all about adapting to a right-handed world.)

Anyway when I started playing, it seems most of the emphasis (chord formation) is on the left hand. The more I play, the more important I realize the right hand is. About 6 months after I started (and at a point where I felt I was struggling), I was wondering if I should start over left-handed. I went to the guitar shop and tried the left handed guitars. Except for knowledge of how to form a certain chord, I realized I would have to start over from the very beginning (and buy a new guitar.)

I decided to just tough it out (and play right handed) and I think now I am doing OK and getting better at rhythm and making it sound like music with my right hand.
I have to say a huge welcome to you first..maybe Ill catch up with you when Im back in California, but what compels me more to this quote..is firstly your mindset to be so determined ...and single minded in the idea that you would sacrifice ease for the outcome, so few people go the hard way...yet all the rewards are their...

Secondly and although I cannot comment on whether you will ultimately be better either way...their is something that is going to have a parallel and interesting effect for you that Chris may add to if he is around, but by effectively switching over, you are forcing your right and left hemispheres of the brain to become more integrated..although I am simplifying it a touch here..their is a ton of research on this ..in fact I have done a lot of exercise to actually practice this stuff in different ways for other uses..and in fact you will gain some advantages in many other ways...it literally helps reqire your brain to be more flexible, to access "all of it" ...potentially this will help your ability long term to be more musical, be more creative, be a better all round player, but profoundly you may find it influencing your life in other directions as well...do not be suprized if people comment to you over time that you have become somehow different to them...you are growing before them on a mental level..

Makes me think I should start again left handed..

I hope some of that made some sense..as usual I am terrible at putting it in words..but its all up their in much more detail inside my brain..perhaps you could look at some of the research out their to see what I am rabbiting on about...

Anyways welcome and cheers

jeffb

Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:54 am

I'm lefthanded. Its easy. Don't give it up. The only drawback is you can't play other people's guitars (unless they are lefthanded). My first guitar teacher in 1966 obliged me to try and learn to play righthanded. I never went back to the guitar for 15 years because I was a failure righthanded.

TGMatt

Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:21 am

I will definately chat to Neil on this one..I would hate for you to walk away because it was harder...sounds like you have some real talent either side though..but I will chat to Neil and ask his opinion, have you been progressing well right handed ?..do you feel like you are growing ??..as I said earlier it could be easy for you, and give you other gifts..but I definately agree that you dont want to be throwing the towel in if this is giving you grief

AndyT

Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:44 am

Naturally I'm a leftie but over the years, I've been forced to become rather ambidextrous. It hasn't been all fun and games either. And I play guitar right handed. It just seemed correct to play it that way. Weird. But Matt's right. By forcing yourself to learn it against your natural instinct you are creating a tighter interaction between the right and left halves of your brain which gives you physically more neuron connections to play with. Now what we do with those extras is a whole other story again...

LOL People thought I was dyslexic growing up. :laugh:

willem

Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:48 am

Welcome from the white white christmas Netherlands,,i know for sure you gonna have fun here..cheeeeeseeeeee.

Yamaha48

Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:51 am

Hello youre welcome here.

I hope you have a realy good time,and learn the songs you want to play.
A happy Christmas,and a warm greet from the Netherlands.

Anton

ncsurfer

Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:07 am

Hi Jim, Welcome and Merry Christmas from the other coast! Great to see another Taylor 114 player!

Chasplaya

Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:19 pm

Welcome to TG Jim and a Merry Christmas. From Chas in New Zealand. Enjoy the site there is lots to learn and lots of good friends to make. SOunds like you will have different challenges as a lefty playing right, good luck with that.

Cheers

Chas

goldleaf

Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:38 pm

Jim, thanks for your response to my question. After reading what Matt had to say it sounds like you might gain on several levels if you learn to play right handed, against your natural instincts. Maybe in some areas that are even as important as playing the guitar. Anyway as long as your are enjoying and improving. Glad you add to the flavor of TG. Gary

tovo

Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:46 pm

Welcome Jim to TG, you join the ever swelling numbers of members playing Taylor...and Chas who plays something else (an obscure brand from a far off country).

Anyway, glad to see you are receiving a very warm welcome and I add mine, hope to see you around the forum.

Cheers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic