Hello from Switzerland

waggis

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:03 am

Hi Everyone. I've been lurking in the background as a TG member for 7 months and really enjoy reading the posts here on the Forum. Thought I would introduce myself before I get tagged by "tovo". I am an American living in Switzerland for 24 years. I have played off and on since 3rd grade, but since my climbing accident in the Swiss Alps 13 years ago offered me a bit of free time, I have been playing regularly ever since.
I am mainly a Fingerstyle player with my heroes being Leo Kottke, John Renbourn, John Fahey and Pierre Bensusan to name a few. I also enjoy playing classic rock pieces which interested me the most in TG. I won't rank my playing because it is totally relative; Pieces which I have known for years score higher than new pieces. I think it is important to always challenge yourself with at least one piece even though you may "suck" as I have heard it said here in the Forum. I have many pieces which fit this category.

What I am looking for in TG is to improve my skills using that foreign object they call a "Pick". My Strat sits mostly lonely these days in the corner waiting for this moment. I have tried fingerpicking the Strat like Mark Knopfler, but I am no Mark Knopfler. Also my Theory is rather weak so I am currently reviewing Neil's Acoustic Genius series to try to correct that.

I am looking forward to learning a lot from you guys/girls and from our Guitar Guru Neil. He is amazing and reminds me of a walking/strumming guitar encyclopedia. I also enjoy his humor.

If you are interested, my profile picture was taken at John Lennon's Wall in Prague, Czech Republic on a recent visit. It is a great place to sit and reflect on our own freedoms while escaping the hordes of tourist. I understand that it was the only place in Czechoslovakia during Communism where people were allowed to write graffiti. Quite sad considering how much freedom we have to protest and demonstrate against causes which we feel impelled.

AndyT

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:34 am

Welcome to TG.
I agree that it is sad when any government curtails the freedoms of its people. (hint hint for US citizens here..)

The fact that you have been playing for some time pretty much promises you plenty of chances to offer your help in the forums. Don't worry about getting something wrong either. Should that happen, Neil will surely jump in and give us the correct answer.

I like the pic from Johns wall. I miss him. I wish he was still around so I could sit and chat with him about God. I think I miss George more though.

I used to think that 'ranking' myself was silly, but once I started teaching, I realized how useful it really is. If it's honest that is. It's hard to be honest about your own playing because most of us really underrate our abilities. We know what we think we should be able to play and we rate ourselves against that instead of where we really are. In the end, we are all still beginners trying to make something beautiful come from some wood and strings.

Glad to have you.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:43 am

Hi Waggis, now we are 3! Glad to see you in the Swiss Group.... we just need one more and we can have a decent fondue together! Welcome to the forums, nice to have you out of the woodwork and into the flow of things.
Falling off Swiss mountains is one way of getting kick-started into more playing.... but I can think of easier ways!
See you around the forums and groups..... if it keeps raining like it has been, best place to be!

dennisg

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:53 am

Welcome waggis,

Oddly, when I saw your avatar, I thought it was the Shroud of Turin.

- Dennis

Lavallee

Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:19 am

Hi Waggis, welcome from Canada. Since you are familiar with Bensusan, I hope you will share some insights on alternate tuning. It reassures me that I am not the only one weak on theory. Good place to learn though. See you in the forum.

Marc

AndyT

Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:23 am

Dennis,
I'm sure you've seen this but just to refresh your memory...

http://www.shroud.com/

And, yeah. It does look a bit like a colorized shroud.

dekotaj

Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:35 am

Happy New Year Waggis.

Kevin

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:38 am

Welcome waggis,

Oddly, when I saw your avatar, I thought it was the Shroud of Turin.

- Dennis
Nah, the Avatar looks much more authentic Dennis! Probably about same dating!

willem

Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:07 am

Happy New YeAr Waggis,,well it is time to climb the guitar,, be safe..

beaker

Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:20 pm

Waggis, That is a great and very thorough introduction. It is funny, I am better with a pick and am try to learn fingerstyle. Sounds like you like some great artists, some of them I don't even know though! Are you familiar with Kelly Joe Phelps? He is one of my favourite fingerpickers, he is so skilled and can play folky, bluesy stuff but also has a jazz background so he can make things really interesting sometimes. That is cool that are/ were a climber, Switzerland is a great spot for it. I climb as well, mostly in Squamish BC but down with west coast too, Yosemite and such. anyway, enjoy the journey. Beaker.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic