New member in the UK

sws626

Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:08 pm

Hello All,

Just a quick note to say hello. I'm returning to the guitar after a 10-year hiatus. I started playing as a teenager in Seattle in the 70's on my mom's 12-fret nylon string acoustic. Spent some time back then in some frustrating lessons with a sadistic teacher. My earliest memories are of learning to play "Nights in White Satin" and "Here, There and Everywhere." Later, I bought a steel string Takamine before going off to college, but reverted to strumming and very basic fingerpicking of Dylan tunes. Never really managed to bridge the gap between arrangements beyond my ability and playing well below the level I thought I ought to be able to achieve. Timing is a real challenge for me. Despite coming from a family of musicians, I seem to have been spared the rhythm gene. One day about ten years ago, my brother asked if he could have my guitar and I gave it to him without hesitation. But last year I found myself in a music store playing around on a Martin 000-28 and decided to give it another go. So here I am.

My musical tastes run along the lines of Dylan, Neil Young, and J.J. Cale.

I stumbled upon this site via YouTube and have been impressed by my brief visits so far. I look forward to sharing this experience with all of you.

Stuart

dekotaj

Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:15 pm

Welcome Stuart.
Kevin

haoli25

Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Hello Stuart. It is very nice to have you with us here at TG. You will be amazed at how quickly you progress. These are the best lessons on the internet and a great group of people here that will help you. If you have any questions, please ask.

Bill

hasben

Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Welcome Stuart!! I think you will find this site right up your alley. The members are very helpful, supportive and friendly. Hang around and join the fun. You already have me beat: you can spell rhythm. :laugh:

Fred from Muskogee

:huh:

dennisg

Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:19 pm

Hi Stuart,

Greetings from your ancestral homeland -- Seattle -- and welcome to the black hole of time management. A lot of us have stories like yours, having given up the guitar for a long time, only to come back to it and discover TG. This site has made all the difference in the world to my enthusiasm for the instrument. I think you'll find the lessons helpful, the songs rewarding, and the camaraderie amazing.

Welcome.

- Dennis

Chasplaya

Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:26 pm

Hi Stuart, Firstly welcome to TG. Now clarification please are you American or a Brit, this will make all the difference when we (TG old hands) have a bit of fun.

Its all been said , this is the best of sites around, great teacher and fantastic camraderie, and folk who like to make guitar fun! If it ain't fun its not working for you. You need to know the difference between frustration (cos that will happen) and when it stops being fun. get to know take a break and come back the next day.

Anyway enjoy the site and jump right on in on the Forums lots to learn here as well as from Neil.

See you around

Chas

sws626

Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:44 pm

Hi Chas,

I'm an American by birth, but have spent the last 7 or 8 years in the UK.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Stuart

Chasplaya

Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:46 pm

sws626 wrote:
Hi Chas,

I'm an American by birth, but have spent the last 7 or 8 years in the UK.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Stuart
Cheers mate this makes a difference and can help the colour (color) of our language

wrench

Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:51 pm

Welcome home, Stuart.

AndyT

Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:01 pm

Stuart,

The only hard part about rhythm is keeping time. LOL I know, I know ... but its true. If you can beat that, you're all set!

Aloha from Paradise!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic