OK, I'm hooked!

Craig

Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:46 pm

OK, OK, I give in...I'm hooked! :P As some of you have noticed, I have thrown in a few comments in the forum section. So, for those of you wondering, "who is the new kid on the block?" I wanted to take a minute to introduce myself to the TG community.
My name is Craig. I am a 47 year old high school teacher in Chula Vista, California which is about 15 minutes south of San Diego.
I picked up the guitar about 25 years ago and learned a few open chords and got to where I could strum on them a little bit. Then I got married, had kids, and life in general pushed my guitar into the closet where it collected dust for a long time. About two years ago, I decided to dust it off and start taking some lessons. The problem was I could never find an instructor that I felt I connected with. The last guy I took lessons from wanted me to learn jazz, which I had no desire to play. I would go to a lesson and say, "I want to learn "Behind Blue Eyes" by The Who". He would say, "That's awesome, I love that song, but first lets try this Miles Davis song"! So after getting frustrated with that experience, I started looking for stuff on my own on the internet. One day I stumbled onto a lesson by Neil. I yelled "EUREKA". This is exactly what I have been looking for. A great teacher, teaching songs that I want to learn. When the whole TARGET thing started up, I was sold right off the bat. However, I have never been much of a forum or blog person. Being a high school teacher I have had a 3 week vacation. One day when I had some time I started looking through some of the forum stuff, some of the videos submitted and haven't stopped looking since!
The community has struck me as a group of great people that are extremely supportive. So, I want to thank you, you have totally inspired me to practice and enjoy the guitar.

dennisg

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:03 pm

Craig,

First, a big hearty welcome to TG, the greatest hobbyist (not just guitar) community I've ever seen on the web, and I've been involved in lots of them (I have a lot of interests). You won't find a site with more, better, or easier to access information than this one. Or a group of users more supportive of you.

Your story of giving up the guitar for several years is similar to so many on this site. But TG has made playing the guitar more fun than it's ever been.

Look around. Browse the forums. Get involved in conversations. But mostly, just enjoy yourself. You're going to be here for awhile.

- Dennis

MarkM

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:11 pm

Welcome welcome Craig. Yup your story is a very familiar one. Glad you're here. I was a lurker for awhile and then I posted my first song and I can't stop. Can't wait to see yours.

MarkM

BobR

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:31 pm

Craig,

Your introduction was well done. I too, went looking on youtube and found a lesson by Neil. I'm so glad I did and I am sure you will be also. Everyone is very supportive and friendly.

See you in the forums and videos.

Bob

Lavallee

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:35 pm

Hey Craig, welcome from Canada, glad you are enjoying the forum as well as the lessons. I also had a teacher who was pounding on me with jazz... I was not ready.

Marc

AndyT

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:38 pm

A friend of mine is really into Jazz. It sounds like so many unconnected notes to me though... LOL

Glad you're here Craig. You will learn an amazing amount just by hanging out and doing Neils lessons. Oh yeah, and practice too...

BigBear

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:54 pm

Craig- Big welcome from Oregon, where if we were any more Left Coast we'd be swimming with the whales and salmon!!

Great job on your intro and we didn't even have to bug you to do it! Like several of my forum buddies have said you'll fit right in here! Tons of great info and people who are totally willing to help you out in any way they can!

I look forward to seeing you on the forum and good luck on your guitar journey! It must feel great to be back at it after all those years!

Cheers! :cheer:

tovo

Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:01 pm

Hey Craig. We have been talking for a while so I feel like you've been around for a bit, but welcome anyway! Hope you continue to get what you want from the site in terms of improvement, and have some fun along the way.

AndyT

Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:31 pm

And Aloha from Hawaii, the REAL West Coast.

Chasplaya

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:30 pm

Hi Again Craig, well the welcome mat has been rolled out so you gotta come and join the party. Very well written intro I might add and as BigBear (aka Rick) said you didn't have to be cajoled into providing it, good start mate! Look forward to further interaction with you through the site. Good decision to join in and one you won't regret.

cheers Chas from New Zealand.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic