Hello from Glen Ellyn Illinois!

6stringwannabe

Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:04 pm

Good evening everyone,

My story seems to be similar to a lot of other newbie’s. I found this sight by accident when on YouTube and found a lesson...and I too am hooked. My parents gave me an acoustic guitar when I was a young kid but no lessons. I struggled for a little while but didn't have a clue so back in the case it went for 30 years. Unfortunately it wasn't a guitar that appreciated with age and now sits nicely propped up along the piano in the den...out of tune and not playable.

My youngest daughter wanted to try guitar two years ago so I bought a 3/4 size Yamaha and pulled mine out and we tried. She gave up and I caught a bug. In 2007 summer I bought a grey maple Epiphone Les Paul Classic, and in 2008 my father gave me a Breedlove Passport acoustic for Christmas. I still can't play and can't swing lessons right now but having fun anyway.

Hoping to gain some knowledge, friends and fun as I start to get a little serious as I really am a true beginner. I am a real estate lawyer in the suburbs of Chicago so I have lots of time on my hands! :S

Hope to visit often.

Ted "6stringwannabe" Lane

"Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar, save perhaps two.”
-Fredric Chopin Image

tovo

Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:19 pm

Well mate I can assure you that if you stick around here, jump in and participate, you will have a heap of like-minded friends in no time. It's a very friendly and encouraging community of people from the USA, and around the World for a bit of flavour. I've never found another forum like this one and like many of us, I've participated in a few. It's not easy to gain acceptance when you are green! ;)

Good luck with your guitar goals and hope to see more of you on the forum.

Chasplaya

Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:03 am

G'Day Ted from Chas in New Zealand. You have a similar story to quite a few guys here; I would say nearly everyone here would agree this has gotta be the best site around. So stick around and when you can buy into the TARGET programme its well worth it, a decision you won't regret.

cheers

Chas

Craig

Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:49 am

Glad to hear that you are as hooked as me! :P I know you will enjoy it.

BigBear

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:36 am

Hi Ted! Big welcome from Oregon! Man, have you found a great place to learn! Great intro. I spent some time in Evanston at Northwestern many years ago. Great area but man is the humidity brutal!! lol!

Hope you enjoy the site and please let us know if we can ever help you with anything. Lots of great helpers if you need it!

Good luck on your guitar journey and cheers! :cheer:

dennisg

Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:14 am

Hi Ted,

Dennis here from soggy Seattle, just up the coast from where BigBear hibernates. You're going to love this site and everything it has to offer. Don't be surprised if you find yourself totally hooked on guitar playing again. It happened to most of us.

That's a great quote from Frederic Chopin. Did he really say that about guitars? You sure he wasn't talking about zithers or sack-butts?

By the way, Ted, I would advise you not to use your last name in public posts. You never know. I'm just sayin'.

- Dennis (no official last name)

sws626

Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:02 am

Hi Ted,

Welcome! It seems that a lot of us who have stumbled into this community and back into playing guitar have a similar story. Hope you enjoy it here, as I'm sure you will.

Nice photo of your guitars. They look very happy together.

Like BigBear, I spent several years in Evanston and know Glen Ellyn well. Is the lake iced over yet?

Stuart

willem

Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:39 am

Hello wannabe,,welcome from the Netherlands....A lot of time he,,, i was wondering how you take your lesson here and do you know about the target lesson,,they are a lot more in teaching a song then the free ones,,so hope you join....happy journey..

prawnpig

Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:17 am

Hello from Vancouver Island It is easy to get hooked on this site for sure. A great guitar community great lessons both free and the target program. I found Neil on youtube as well and am glad I did I have been cruising the internet looking for lessons for a few years so many out there, But this is by far the best I have found. hope you join target when you get the chance.
Dave

haoli25

Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:44 am

Hi Ted. Glad to have you with us. You will really like this site and you will be amazed at how quickly you will progress. Neil is a great teacher. If you have a question, tips to share, or an opinion, let us hear from you.

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic