New Member from Newport Beach, CA

robw95

Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:39 pm

Hi, I'm Rob and I live in Newport Beach, CA. I just turned 50 a few weeks ago and and treated myself to a six month TARGET subscription. I played a little guitar in my teens then took a 30 year break and then picked it back up a few years ago. I've got a decent amount of songs and licks that I like to play but I am looking to become a more complete player in that I want to learn more about fundamentals such as time signatures, moving chords and notes around the fretboard, changing keys, etc. I enjoy all types of music but could be content for the rest of my life playing only The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, and Neil Young.

I consider myself an intermediate player and am actually kind of shy about playing in front of others but I would like to meet some other local folks to get together and play as I constantly hear that this is a great way to improve your skills.

Good to be here. Rob

hasben

Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:42 pm

Rob, you have come to the right place. Good hunting here at TG.

Fred from Muskogee, OK

dennisg

Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:56 pm

Hi, Rob, from (momentarily) sunny Seattle. Great intro. All I can tell you is that if you spend a week looking around that site, you'll know your 6-month subscription won't begin to cover all you can learn. Based on what you said your goals were, you might want to start with the Acoustic Genius Series that teaches music theory.

I was just down in your neck of the woods two weeks ago. Absolutely beautiful area and, of course, perfect weather.

- Dennis

BigBear

Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:56 pm

Rob- Big welcome from a little further up the Left Coast in Oregon! Man, did you come to the right place! You'll fit right in with all of us 50-somethings! That's why this music is so great, it's our music!

I had to laugh at being shy about playing in front of others. Most (all?) of us are that way because we lack confidence. That's why posting a video of yourself playing is so great (I haven't done it yet!). You won't believe all the positive feedback you'll get even if you think you suck! (they nominated me the King of Suck because of a thread I launched recently! lol!)

So jump in, the water's great and enjoy all the great info and people. Let us know if you ever need any help!

Cheers! :cheer:

dekotaj

Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:26 pm

Hey Rob.Welcome to TG.Im with Dennis 6 months,This site can get kind of addictive.Good luck with the playing,and enjoy the time here.

Kevin

Chasplaya

Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:28 pm

Welcome Rob good to see you here and Dennis is right 6mths won't cut it lol. Soo much on this site. As for posting a vid, Bear and I are pretty much amongst the few founding members not to have posted one yet, we get crap about that all the time, but I must admit for those that have its been all good, the guys are very tactful and honest in providing feedback and useful tips to sort out issues. So one day soon I'll leave Bear behind and post something. ( I will no doubt get crap for that last comment also!!)

Enjoy your time here and I'd be most surprised if you don't jump on in for another subscription.

Chas

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:27 pm

Hey Rob! Welcome from a couple of hours north in Ventura! Glad you treated yourself to the Target program. It is a great place to be. Looks like your musical tastes will fit in nicely and that you have a bit of knowledge and experience to share with some of here that need it......speaking of myself that is......lol

Welcome!

MJ

AndyT

Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:07 pm

Welcome Rob! As I'm sure you know by now, your story is much like ours. Start, stop, start again...

And don't mind Bear. He actually sux so bad he can't even remember his own title! He was voted "The Emperor of Suck".

tovo

Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Hi Rob from Australia. Glad to have you with us. Whether you post a video for review or not, you will learn a lot from other members and of course from Neil's great lessons. Enjoy.

RicksPick

Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:13 am

Hi Rob

Welcome from the UK
So much quality here at TG
It will soon time for another 6 months

RicksPick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic