hi everyone have got a few questions

jolley_chris

Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:37 pm

i bought a vintage acoustic it twangs on a string does using better strings stop this.

i struggle playing a chord due to fat fingers any advise out there it would be appreciated

when i said about singing what i find hard is the strumming not having the right rythem at times but realising that thats all part of working it out

MarkM

Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:32 pm

What string is it? How old are the strings? You may need to have it properly set up (neck adjustment and/or saddle replacement)

MarkM

sws626

Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:41 pm

Hi Chris,

Until a qualified luthier weighs in -- I'm sure we must have some here -- I'll just offer a tidbit of amateur advice about your vintage acoustic. It's hard to tell exactly what you mean without seeing and hearing the guitar, but I assume by "twangs" you mean that some of the strings touch the frets and buzz when played. New strings are unlikely to address that issue, but if you are still using the ones it had on when you bought it, I'd definitely suggest you replace them. Possibly the nut and/or saddle has worn or was lowered by a previous owner, reducing the action. This is a pretty easy fix. It's possible there's some "back bow" in the neck, which might be solved with an adjustment of the truss rod. I'd put on a new set of strings and then let a luthier have a look at it.

What sort of guitar is it?

Stuart

jayswett

Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:47 pm

I agree with Stuart. I've had several guitars worked on by my local shop, mostly to decrease the action or adjust it due to some buzzing strings. It cost me about 50 bucks or so, which seemed a bit high for me, but I love this guitar shop and want to do what I can to keep it afloat during this economic downturn. Anyway, my guess is that your "twanging" guitar can be adjusted rather easily, but you need to haves someone fully assess the guitar and look specifically at the neck to make sure it is not warped horrendously. Good luck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic