Hello from Bellingham, WA

d_dog

Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:37 pm

This site is Awesome!!! Neil and Jim, thank you very much for all the time you put in that it must take to make this work.

I'm 40 years old, I live in Bellingham, WA. I would classify my musical tastes as classic rock (late 60's 70's) and singer song writer, same time frame. I'm not opposed to enjoying any newer music or older, but for the most part it's the first two genres that I tend to play and sing. It's common for me to not turn down and opportunity for some Karaoke now and then, not so much in recent years, but certainly in it's heyday. I was in a band years ago in H.S. playing keyboards and singing back up vocals. I've never taken piano lessons, I just picked up what I could by ear and from friends and easy play books.

I've been "more seriously" playing guitar for about a year and a half now. I say "more seriously" because prior to that I could really only play a few standard chords and pick a few finger picking patterns that my Dad taught me when I was young. I didn't own a guitar and I had never really put in very much effort. Now I own 3. I have a Breedlove AD200SM, it's their Atlas series, or was, it's discontinued now. It's a really fantastic guitar for the money, solid sitka spruce top, laminate mahogany back and sides. I also have (was generously given) a 1955 Gibson LG-1, what a gem this is. The LG-1 is a fantastic old flat top, excellent for playing songs like Man of Constant Sorrow in double drop D, and the like. With the original case and leather strap, fantastic.

I enjoy singing and playing together. I tend to only choose songs that I can sing and play at the same time, which can put a damper on my ability to play at times. Singing along with some songs adds a very difficult timing challenge. Not to say I never play songs that I don't or can't sing along with but it's just my first choice.

Aside from that and anything related to music, I'm a huge tech nerd. I spend a lot of time learning and reading about all computer and tech related things and industry news. I listen to about 10 different podcast related to all things Mac and Apple and the like. I dabble in video editing and have worked as a graphics designer for a couple years at the Las Vegas Review Journal. In fact, I have so many irons in the fire right now, in a good way, I hope that I can find the time to be a regular contributor to this site. I really think this is the best environment I have ever seen on the internet related to guitar instruction. My new years resolution is/was to practice guitar playing more this year. B)

Lavallee

Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:44 pm

Hi Dog, welcome to TG from Montreal Canada. Great intro you have given us. Your music taste will fit right in. We also have a few techies that you will get along with just fine.

Marc

Chasplaya

Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:57 pm

Hi Dog welcome to TG, sounds as if you will fit in quite well. Although if your New Year resolution was to practice more can I recommend you take time management class as this site can be so addictive and thats just the forums and walls!

See you around

Chas from New Zealand

dekotaj

Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:04 am

Hey d_dog,Great to have in the family here at TG.From your video post I see you made a great start.Have fun and enjoy.

Kevin

North Ill.

tovo

Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:07 am

D-Dog, great intro. Greetings from Australia. I share your love of everything Apple, I can't understand why people put themselves through the pain associated with a PC, but hey that's another story.

You certainly have some good experience and judging from the impact of your first post you will have some very cool stuff to share with us. You are one of the young fellows here, which is great.

Enjoy mate.

haoli25

Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:16 am

Hello D-Dog and welcome. Glad you decided to join us, you are going to love this site. Neil has the best lessons on the internet and the members are incredible! Everyone is very helpful and we all learn a lot from each other. Your tips, opinions, and questions are always welcome.

Bill

cosmicmechanic

Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:37 am

Hi, and welcome ... don't tell your girlfriend, but watch your practice time increase as you settle in here. I suggest you give up something other than your girlfriend to manage this ... maybe easy on the late-night and practice early? see ya

Pierre

prawnpig

Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:43 am

Welcome from Vancouver Island it is a great site so much to learn so little time

BigBear

Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:04 am

Dog- Great intro! Thanks much! And a big welcome from Hillsboro, Oregon a little further south on I-5. We need somebody else to keep Dennis and Fred (hasben) in line up there in northern Washington!

Again welcome and I hope you really enjoy your guitar journey!

Cheers! :cheer:

reiver

Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:59 am

Hi d_dog, and welcome from the UK. I'm sure that your playing will improve this year and you'll have a lot of fun along the way.

r

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic