Video Possibilities

izzyhara

Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:14 am

Snowing here in Georgetown this morning.
My husband bought a really nice video camera. But it seems really complicated to get the video off the camera and on to a computer in order to upload it here. I want to post videos up here and am wondering if i should just get a less complicated video camera. Any suggestions?
Should I just get a flip video camera?

eagle670

Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:29 am

I have been trying to find a better solution for creating videos as well. I have a video camera, but it is a few years old and once you capture a video it requires alot of editing to get it youtube ready. I have explored new cameras, but I really don't want to spend the money on another one if I don't have too.

I was in a store the other day and saw that they had an HD web cam for sale at $70.00. I was wondering if anyone has ever used one of these to capture video.

Kevin

dennisg

Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:31 am

Izzy,

I know nothing about your setup, since you haven't told us what kind of camera it is or what kind of computer you're using. If we knew that stuff, someone here might be able to give you some simple directions on how to pull the video from the camera.

Typically, though, it's at the computer end that the video extraction is done, not at the camera end, so getting a simpler camera may not solve the one problem you stated -- that it's complicated to get video off of the camera.

Yes, the Flip and the similar Kodak Zi8 are incredibly simple cameras to use. The main differences between them are 1) the Flip uses internal memory while the Kodak uses little memory cards; and 2) the Kodak has an external mic jack while the Flip doesn't. If you think you'll ever need to use a mic, take that into consideration. Again, though, both of these cameras are used extensively on this site, and I think the results with both are excellent.

BigBear

Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:32 am

Izzy- The Flips are really simple to use and will get the job done but if your husband already has a good camcorder you don't need another one. Most (all?) current camcorders are made to be easy to download videos due to YouTube and other similar sites.

If you can't figure it out and your hubby can't help we have several guys here that are really video whizzes, AcousticAl most prominently. He has helped so many of us. I think he's on a little trip right now however.

Let these guys know what kind of camera you have and someone will be able to walk you through the process.

Good luck! :cheer:

BigBear

Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:47 am

eagle670 wrote:
I have been trying to find a better solution for creating videos as well. I have a video camera, but it is a few years old and once you capture a video it requires alot of editing to get it youtube ready. I have explored new cameras, but I really don't want to spend the money on another one if I don't have too.

I was in a store the other day and saw that they had an HD web cam for sale at $70.00. I was wondering if anyone has ever used one of these to capture video.

Kevin

Kevin- I've been doing some research on the little camcorders too for exactly the same reason you mentioned. Getting a video to this site has been a real pain because my camera is so old.

I've been using Amazon to read all the reviews on all the models and it's quite enlightening. Low light graininess seems to be a major issue with all of them. But people seem to expect the same video performance from a $100 +/- flip-style camera as they would get from an $800 Canon or Sony.

If you take the plunge let me know which one you chose.

Cheers! :cheer:

dekotaj

Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:58 am

Hey Kevin.I got a life cam.Its a web cam HD.And to be honest.Not that good Ive posted with it.Videos are choppy but talking with Al.It might be that my computer Is 6 years old.If you get a web cam make sure your computer will do videos in HD.Mine dont seem to.

Kevin

wrench

Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:59 am

Hi Izzy,

Certain webcams do a surprisingly good job of video. I just switched over to Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000, and I'm quite pleased with it, and many others here have made excellent recordings with webcams.

There are also folks using the pocket size flip-style HD camcorders like Dennis discussed, and those recordings are just stunning. Others yet have mentioned problems with file formats in full camcorders- both that come to mind quickly were using Canon camcorders.

Perhaps you might find some tips for your setup in the TG Techies Group. If not, send in some more questions - I'm certain we can get this ironed out with you, but either a flip-type or a good webcam are quick tickets to posting video.

wrench

eagle670

Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:23 am

I was afraid of that. My computer that I would use it on is probably about the same age. I have done alot of video transfer stuff, taking from tape to DVD and I experienced the choppy video, probably just doesn't have enough memory. I think that I will probably have to break down and buy another camera, if I want to post anything. Thanks for the input.

BRBbrb

Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:36 am

Is there a big difference between internal & external mics?

dennisg

Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:39 am

BRBbrb wrote:
Is there a big difference between internal & external mics?
Barb,

There are two differences. The first is that you can bring an external mic up close to your guitar or your mouth (if you're singing), which almost always results in better sound. Otherwise, the internal mic in a camera has to sit about 6 feet away from you, since the camera needs to be far enough away in order to properly frame the shot for video. The second difference is that camera companies typically use the cheapest mics they can build into a camera in order to keep the price of the camera down. But using an external mic you have your choice of whatever mic quality your needs dictate and budget can afford.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic