Greetings from Northern Ireland

donagh

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:11 pm

Hello everyone and kind regards from Northern Ireland, or as we say NORN IRN.
My name is Martin, I am almost 52 years old and I live in a now "empty nest" with my wife Kathryn and we have 3 grown up kids, all boys. We live about 20 miles away from our capital city Belfast, in what was once a small town but is getting bigger every day!
I have been learning the guitar for more years than I care to remember and have been a member of Tot. Guitars for abou 6 months.
After a long 9 months I have just last week received my dream guitar; Martin 000-28 EC in Sunburst. It is just stunning, however I am still trying to get used to the neck profile which is what Martin call a modified "V"
I also have a 20 year old Lowden that I bought direct from the factory, which was only 8 miles from my home prior to it moving to its current location in Dwnpatrick. It is an O 12 C and has just recently had a makeover and set up by the great Luthiers in the Avalon factory, it was the old Lowden place.
You folks can thank BigBear for all this chatter as he "encouraged" me to make myself known on the Forum.

Best Wishes, Martin

tovo

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:24 pm

G'day Martin from Australia. Welcome aboard. I loved Belfast when I was there and found the Irish to be without doubt the most welcoming people I have come across. Even the guy who threw a full beer bottle at me from a passing car did it with a smile. Seriously, I love the place. Derry as well. Hope to see you around the forum. Cheers mate.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:30 pm

Hi Martin and welcome to the forums! Nice display of guitars you have there. Have fun and look forward to seeing you around. Er, and I find it hard to believe that someone (Bear) had to persuade you to talk on the forums..... the N. Irish not being know to be lost for words, eh? ;-)

Like the quaint idea of tossing full beer bottles at Ozzies though... could catch on here.... ;-)

dennisg

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:46 pm

Greetings from Seattle, Martin. I've been following your thread where you voice your concern about the neck on your new guitar.

A quick story about why I love Irish people. I did a bike ride through western Ireland a few years ago, and one day I stopped to rest by one of the zillions of stone fences I saw. So, I'm leaning against the wall when, from inside the enclosure, a donkey trots up to me and nuzzles my neck. As I start petting it, two old gents happen to be walking by. After seeing me pet the donkey, one of the old guys says to the other, "Ah, two of a kind." As he continues walking away, he turns his head to see how I'm reacting to this, and all three of us break up in laughter.

willem

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:47 pm

Hello Martin a warm welcome from the wet(now with) Netherlands,, alway's wished to go ones to IRNLAND,, who knows,,do i have to take some money with me for a nice guitar?,,,zie je...

wammer

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:55 pm

Welcome Martin

We all like the fact that the Bear keeps things in order around here. Im sure you'll find everything you need and more here. Its a great place to be.

Tammy Ontario Canada

P.S Chris stole my "EH!!"

wammer

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:55 pm

Hi Martin. Welcome from Virginia in the USA.

Congrats on getting your dream guitar. I look forward to seeing a video of it :)

See you around the forums

Yamaha48

Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:01 pm

Hello Martin.

Warm welcome here on this great site.
My wife she loves Ireland.
I hope fore one holliday,together with here.

greet Anton

AndyT

Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:17 pm

dennisg wrote:
A quick story about why I love Irish people. I did a bike ride through western Ireland a few years ago, and one day I stopped to rest by one of the zillions of stone fences I saw. So, I'm leaning against the wall when, from inside the enclosure, a donkey trots up to me and nuzzles my neck. As I start petting it, two old gents happen to be walking by. After seeing me pet the donkey, one of the old guys says to the other, "Ah, two of a kind." As he continues walking away, he turns his head to see how I'm reacting to this, and all three of us break up in laughter.
Dennis, You're killing me! LMBO!

haoli25

Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:30 pm

Tony, on behalf of my Irish ancestors, I would like to offer you a most sincere apology for the beer that was tossed at you. What were they thinking...nobody throws away a perfectly good beer. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bill

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic