Setting up a guitar can markedly change and improve it's action

haoli25

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:00 am

Couldn't agree more Gary. One more point about choosing a luthier, ask him a lot of questions about your guitar. He should also ask you questions about your playing style, how often you play, any problems that you might have, and also how you take care of your guitar. This interaction is very important. It will help you get the most for your money and the most out of your guitar.

Bill

AndyT

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:06 am

Wiley,
I'm doing the setup myself. I want to raise the nut slightly so that I can lower the saddle more without getting buzz. I'm talking 1/32 inch at the most.

I bought brand new Tusq nut and saddle just for this. I also ordered a set of Grover 102-18G tuners for her. Gold Rotomatics with an 18:1 ratio.

I know how to do the work and I've always done handyman stuff and some fine work on occasion. I can handle it. I've already adjusted her neck and the frets are now in perfect condition. I'm just waiting for the new tuners to arrive to do the rest of the work.

AndyT

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:10 am

The guys are 110% correct. If you don't know how to do this, then you need to take it to a quality luthier and have that long chat with him/her. It will be more than worth the $30-$50 you pay.

Chasplaya

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:22 am

Worthwhile reading is the Frets.com pages. Now this can educate you in the needs of a setup so you know what to look for or if your a bit of a handy person then you can do a lot of these jobs yourself. With the lack of Luthiers in my area I have had to do most jobs myself so far.

This site is very comprehensive and is written by a Luthier of long standing, if nothing else a lot of interesting reading.

http://www.frets.com/

Check it out its worth it.

BigBear

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:54 am

I learned long ago that a good setup, even on a brand new guitar, is mandatory. A couple of things a good luthier can, or should do if needed. Some of these have been mentioned before:

1. Straighten neck by adjusting the truss rod.
2. Raise/lower the action by adjusting or replacing the nut or saddle.
3. Polishing, crowning or replacing frets as needed.
4. Resetting the neck. This is a major repair, expecially on older dovetail neck connections.
5. Levelling the fretboard side-to-side. This is different than straightening the neck which is an end to end adjustment.
6. Adjusting or replacing tuners.
7. Cleaning the guitar and fretboard, polishing and oiling.

The modern acoustic guitar is a very lightweight wood structure that has to withstand the stresses imposed by 6 or 12 strings. Because it's wood it is subject to movement of all kinds. A good setup is the best maintenance you can give your beloved instrument!

Cheers! :cheer:

Music Junkie

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:02 am

Thanks for all of the info guys! I talked to my instructor, and he knows a guy that is very good and is going to get me his name and number. Should work out good.

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic