Setting up a guitar can markedly change and improve it's action

johnrfeeney

Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:23 pm

not talking sit ups but setting up the guitar

i couldn't handle the pain in my fingertips from the Martin D-35 anymore

and have practiced continuously since early summer so it's not a lack of callus

learned that there is a thing called setting up a guitar and it's probably a lot more common with the electrics and rockers

turns out most of the mega stores don't offer this or teach about it when you purchase the guitar

i did some research and found that the Martins tend to be high on the action from the factory
so i found a local guitar (think he's called a lather) and he set up the guitar and man oh man - love the action now

and also used lemon oil on the fretboard and again like a new guitar

most of this is probably "duh" to a lot of you but there are some like me who can go years and know this stuff

it only cost $30.00 and he tweaked the neck (Martin's after I think 1975 can be adjusted easily by someone who knows how)

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:35 pm

John:

Setting up an acoustic can make a huge deal, like you said. Whether anyone thinks it's a "duh" thing or not, it is worth mentioning. We have members of ALL levels here, and all info is welcome! I didn't know anything about a "Setup" for the longest time..... B)

My Martin can be a bit tough on me sometimes and I have toyed with having someone set it up for me as well. I just have not found anyone I trust yet..... Soon though.

I am due for some new strings, and a fretboard conditioning, so I might just have it all done at once. I am curious about trying out some strings that Neil recommended on TG Live. Hoping all of the work will pay off and make playing a bit more comfortable for me!

"Luthier" is the word you were looking for BTW.

Cheers!

MJ

johnrfeeney

Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:53 pm

hey MJ thanks for the info and kind words

i have to admit i turned to nanci on the drive home from dropping the guitar off (which nanci called miss martin) and said i felt like i just left my one week old newborn off at the daycare

but all went well and now it's great to play on

AndyT

Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:06 pm

I'm getting ready to do a setup on Gracie. (my Takamine)
I have a new Tusq nut and saddle for her and I'm just waiting for the new Grover Tuners to be delivered.

Doing a setup is something that will make your guitar either totally friendly or very unfriendly to you. Its almost a must for an acoustic. And every few years, you should have it done again as nuts and saddles age and change shape over time from the friction of the strings.

This is Gracie's first time getting work done in 37 years. She's well past the point it should have been done and she's so worth it. I'll have a whole new sounding guitar in a few days. And easier to play as well.

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:21 pm

I know how you feel John.....My guitar is so special to me, that it will be difficult to leave it. That is why I am waiting to find a really good Luthier here locally that can do it right.

Andy: I'm glad to hear that Gracie is getting some TLC. I am still sort of new to this, and really don't know exactly what to ask for when I finally do go to get it set up...... :unsure:

MJ

haoli25

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:23 pm

Talk to musicians in your area and they will usually lead you to a very good luthier to do the work for you John.
While most new guitars only need a setup, it is well worth the money and will make your playing that much more enjoyable.
For older guitars it is very important to take it in to the shop. The luthier will check all of the glue seams, straighten the neck, clean and condition the fingerboard, and chack all of the frets for wear. The worn frets can be repaired or replaced, then leveled, and crowned. This will return it to 'like new' playing condition. A good luthier is the best way to protect your investment.

Bill

AndyT

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:29 pm

What you want from a setup depends on a few things. If you are going to play slide, then you want a high action. If you play fingerstyle, then you want a low action. For strummers, you want a med low action.

Personally, I'll be raising the nut slightly and lowering the saddle to give Gracie more of an electric guitar feel. And it will be good for fingerstyle also. A more even action but still set low.

Most luthiers will give you a strummers action if you do not specify what you want.

wiley

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:15 pm

goldleaf

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:34 pm

When I get a new or different acoustic guitar the first thing I do is take it to my luthier and have him set ut up and intonate it and check the neck & usually lower the action. It can make such a major difference it's well worth the cost. Gary

wiley

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:58 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic