Greetings from Tallahassee, FL

andras

Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:53 am

Hi Everybody! My name is John and I'm a 46 yo software developer from Tallahassee, FL. I started teaching myself to play guitar when I was about 13 years old. Playing guitar has been pretty much an on-again/off-again hobby for me up until now. I've always owned a guitar but there have been long stretches, sometimes years, between stints of learning anything new and/or playing regularly. I'm also a vocalist and enjoy singing along with my guitar playing. Since I'm no guitar virtuoso, when asked, I tell people that I know just enough guitar to accompany my voice! I played Alto saxophone in school band and play piano/keyboard by ear as well. I've written and recorded original music on both the guitar and piano. Like so many folks here... I JUST LOVE MUSIC.

My most recent guitar playing/learning revival was ignited by a friend who needed an acoustic guitar player to sit in once in a while for his church band. With some trepidation, I agreed and it turned out to be just what I needed to get me back in the "saddle" (pun intended) again with my guitar. Also, the huge amount of guitar learning information available today online (guitar sites, youtube, tabs, etc.) has made learning purely a function of the time and effort you put into it. I found TotallyGuitars.com because I was looking for help in learning some new songs that I will be playing for an upcoming live gig. Myself, and three other "hobbiest" musicians (guitar, bass, drums) landed a gig playing a fund raising event for The Alzheimer's Project (March, 6th, 2010). We are trying to learn about 20 songs for the gig, some of which are taught on this site (Thanks Neil!) Here is a list of the songs we are working on:

- Every Breath You Take (The Police)
- Help! (Beatles)
- Pink Houses (John Mellencamp)
- Layla (Eric Clapton acoustic version)
- Don't Dream It's Over (Crowded House)
- Little Wing (Sting version)
- It's Probably Me (Sting Eric Clapton)
- She's Got A Way (Billy Joel)
- Waiting For Your Eyes (original by me)
- Carolina In My Mind (James Taylor)
- Shower The People (James Taylor)
- Your Love (The Outfield)
- Down On the Corner (CCR)
- Wave On Wave (Pat Green)
- Mustang Sally (The Commitments version)
- Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison)
- Play That Funky Music (Wild Cherry)
- What'cha Gonna Do? (Pablo Cruise)
- La Bamba (Los Lobos version)

My goal is to play every day and to keep on learning even after the push for this gig is over. It's great to be here and I'm looking forward to meeting some new guitar friends!

John

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:04 pm

Welcome John, from a snowy Switzerland... hope the sun is shinning down there in Florida! Great to have another singer on board and I look forward to seeing you around the forums and groups. Nice song list you have there to learn.

BobR

Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:25 pm

John

Welcome. I am sure you'll have a great time here. There's so much here to learn, even if you've been playing for a while.

Bob

from Ma.

scotta

Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:32 pm

Welcome to TG John, from a rainy Mississippi!
I think you will really enjoy your time here. There is so much here to learn and you'll find that the people here are friendly and supportive. See you around. Enjoy!

Scott

haoli25

Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:36 pm

Hello John. Glad to have you with us. Your story is similar to many on this site...you're in good company. To really accelerate your learning, I strongly suggest you consider joining the TARGET program. It's the best bang for the buck on the internet. Neil is a great teacher and you will find many great musicians here to help you along your way.

Bill

dekotaj

Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:15 pm

Hey John.Welcome to TG.Hope to see you post some videos for us maybe something live from your upcoming gig.When I was a younger man I would go down to Fl.And dive off the east coast.Just love that part of the U.S.My mom winters there around Tampa,Also have a brother in that area.But me up in the cold of northern Ill.

Enjoy the site and the sun.(Lucky!)
Kevin

TGMatt

Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:55 pm

Welcome mate

And

GO gators Image

unclewalt

Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:04 pm

Go Noles!!!

wrench

Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:24 pm

Welcome aboard, John. I don't know what your expectations are here, but I am pretty sure that you will be amazed at just how valuable a resource TG really is. See you around.

wrench

Max

Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:20 pm

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

John

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic