Open thank you to Neil

johnrfeeney

Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:14 pm

Neil I have to thank you for what you are doing. I have spent two hours just trying to do the double hammer on for The Fisherman - and I just wanted to stop and thank you as a dedicated teacher.
There's always a lot of hype etc and people have a yearning to belong to something and I think that a lot of what is emailed, typed, blogged etc etc - sort of like hey I'm here, my opinion is important and I want to be heard and the web is the ideal media to fuel the need

but outside of all that I want to thank you as a teacher

learning is hard and I find that I want to charge ahead - I think in my head "hey that's difficult, or it's boring and move on and what happens to the fundamentals - collecting dust on a fretboard (and I'm not talking about life and the very real and serious responsibilities which can and do take precedence and many times for years or decades)

and with the dust - well all of us who can relate to what I am saying knows what happens

As a physician every once in awhile someone takes the time to actually send me a card and thank me for what I have done for them - but it's never for the expertise (and I would agree that isn't necessary or needed because that is my profession and it should be expected) but it's for the fact that I have relayed to them that I care about them is as a person.

During this lesson (The Fisherman) that is what I felt for you - I don't believe it's all about a business and money but as old fashioned as it sounds it's about the yearning to pass on and to help those who really want to learn.

Excellent job Neil and I am trying to thank you in a medium which is difficult at best to use because of it's sterility (nonverbal communication makes up about 80% of what we really say to who we are speaking with and this medium lacks that).

with much respect and appreciation

John R Feeney

prawnpig

Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:21 pm

Very nicely said John.
Dave

millponddave

Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:53 pm

I couldn't agree more. My thanks as well. Your love of teaching showe through on every lesson.

Dave

dekotaj

Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:57 pm

BRAVO JOHN BRAVO!!!And darn right.Neil just makes you feel like family.

smips65

Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:17 pm

prawnpig wrote:
Very nicely said John.
Dave

Ditto that....

wiley

Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:37 pm

TGMatt

Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:53 pm

As someone who knows the whole story ....I can say as I always do with honesty (even when it doesn't help m sometimes), that Neil is first and fore mostly interested in teaching you how to fish...and he cares about that process in ways others gloss over...and he does it with love and compassion...

Last night inbetween stir fry and reminiscing on John Renbourne and listening to Lute and old English Folk music, we talked , and he shared how frankly he was working on teaching me in a different way than he would have..because he knows that although I suck now, I have the ability to not suck.. His care for my progress even though despite I have easy access...he contrarily does not give me lessons...I have to work at it..

He cares for all of you..very much..Money is not the motivator it is the conduit..the oil that helps us deliver more and more ...

But more than all of this..Neil is my friend, and a great father, and a great husband...and a leader in the community with his work with kids..and that is what I see in him, Integrity, Honor, truth...things that are missing somewhat in the wider world somewhat...

That is what counts..and why joy comes from within for him...and for us together to keep working our tails off to keep it all real ...

Nice post , I told him to come and read it as it was truly a nice gesture..I am sure he will respond in his own inimitable way soon.but I know he appreciates it very much...

Oh and I really should mention...Community is everything....You guys , at least the ones who dont get offended, or whatever...You make it..so hats off to you all...

johnrfeeney

Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:26 pm

John....nice thread!

Neil and Matt, you are both remarkable...a rarity to say the least. Just so you know, when I count my blessings, I always count you guys twice.

Nancy

haoli25

Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:31 pm

I couldn't add a thing to that Dr. John, it's perfect. And Matt, thanks for your insight. Even though most of us only see Neil in small glimpses, he proves the wise old saying, "Cream rises and Class Shows".

Bill

BobR

Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:00 am

I think everyone would agree with John. I know for me when someone new introduces themselves, I always try to say something like this place is great or TG is the place to be. I am not just trying to type something to type but I genuinly believe that Neil, Matt and all the TG team really are dedicated and really care about what they are doing.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks
Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic