Fall 2008, the second of three children packed up and left
for college. I am 47 and begin to realize that life is
changing. What to do? After much deliberation, I told my
wife that I have decided on some options and she can help with
the final decision. I wanted to pursue one of the following:
1. a 25 year old blonde,
2. a red corvette, or
3. a guitar.

I was able to shop for a new guitar by the end of the week.

I have never played any instrument, but I like many people my
age, I have enjoyed the resurgence of the 70's rock bands and
the influence on some of the new music. Even my kids have
enjoyed the "older" music.

I have been messing around with youtube, free internet lessons,
and method books for a year with limited success. I found this
site and it seems to suit me and my goals. I am excited to
try the lessons and the songs.

I look forward to the process.

David

tom18

Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:16 pm

David,
Welcome to TG from New Jersey. You have indeed found a great site for learning to play guitar and it's also a great community of players and enthusiasts (I count myself in the later group). I can't comment on your other post inquiring about picking techniques for someone with a missing finger but I suspect others here will. In any case I wouldn't be deterred. There have been many excellent guitarists who overcame similar limitations. Be well and enjoy the site.
Tom

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:23 pm

Geez David, you made a huge mistake there! Should have gone for the 25 year old blonde. But, seeing as you are here, you couldn't have made a better 2'nd choice.... enjoy the fun, learn lots and try to get over it....
:-) Chris

BobR

Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:36 pm

Hi David,

Welcome aboard. This is the place to be to learn the correct way. I am sure you'll enjoy all this TG has to offer.

Bob

from Massachusetts.

Didn't I just speak to you about your index finger?

haoli25

Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:50 pm

David, do you still get the Red Corvette? :) What kind of guitar did you buy? You are in good company here. Neil's lessons are the best on the internet and there are many, many great musicians on this site more than willing to help you if you need it. Your comments and opinions are also welcome, so jump in. Glad to have you with us.

Bill

davidallison

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:16 pm

Bill,

Thanks. I bought a low end Seagull which I really like. I also
travel quite a bit so I have bought a couple $300 Yamaha's that
I have stashed at my travel locations. Finally, I bought a baby
Taylor for the times I travel to locations where I do not have a
guitar stashed. I think that I have about $1200 total in 4 guitars.

My goal is that once I am good enough to tell the difference in
guitar quality by my own playing, I will buy something a little more
special.

I do enjoy it.

David

tovo

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:26 pm

Hi David from Australia. Hopefully you will eventually get more sense from the guitar than you might expect from a young blond and you will be convinced that you made the right decision. I say get the car as well.

You will find (if you haven't already) a great bunch of people here to help you along the way. Hope to see you on the forum and good luck with your learning goals.

willem

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:30 pm

Very warm welcome from the Netherlands but i think you gonna learn here ,,nothing'',, but there are some blonds and a white Porsche..goodluck on your TG YOURNEY...

Lavallee

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi David, welcome from Montreal Canada, first choice in the draft is not necesseraly the best choice, guitar migth proven to be a wise decision. I am sure you will have a good time here, learning and discussing guitar. Great teacher, great crowd.

Marc

BigBear

Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:37 pm

David- big welcome from Oregon! Did I miss what part of the world you live in? Your background is so similar to many of us. Kids grown and gone, what to do now for fun since you don't have to drive to Little League, soccer or band practice.

Well, you've come to the right place. All you have to do is spend a few minutes reading this forum to tell that this is a great place for getting better and meeting lots of really great people. I've met so many kind, sincere, wonderful people on this forum it just blows me away.

I saw your post regarding strumming without your index finger. That's the kind of info that this site is loves to help with. So keep firing your questions and don't be a stranger on the forum!

Cheers! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic