Hi from Durham NC

deadhead1951

Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:16 pm

Hi to all Members of the Forum,
I am a new guy here. I am a long time guitar player, but long time does not translate into being excellent at it. I love Rock and Roll, have always loved to bang away on my guitar, entertaining no one but myself. I came upon a YouTube video by Neil when I was trying to learn the intro to A Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress. I loved the instruction and his approach to the music, and so decided to explore a little further. And so, here I am.
As you might imagine by my screen name, I am a lover of the Grateful Dead along with other groups/performers like Springsteen, Neil Young, Van Morrison, Tom Petty, Dire Straits, CCR, Led Zepplin, Jeff Beck, JJ Cale, Traffic,the Stones, etc. My radio dial is pretty much stuck on Classic Vinyl. I play a Martin D18 that I bought new in 1973 for $350 at Drapers Music Store in Palo Alto. As you also might discern from my screen name, I am an old fart (that is my birth year) with 3 kids in various stages of college/grad school. Nevertheless, I do not think of myself as old. Besides my full time job, I am a big time hockey fan.
I look forward to talking to you all in the months to come.
Keep on Truckin,
Deadhead1951

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:31 pm

Hi there Deadhead... I'm assuming Durham NC is in Northern Carolina and not the Northern Counties which is where the original Durham is! Not too many hockey fans there I guess! Have a great time here, folks are kind and the music's great and you will find yourself very welcome.
Chris in Switzerland

jayswett

Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:32 pm

Welcome to TG. Great place to learn, or re-learn, guitar. I spent four wonderful years in Durham. Is Satsifactions still around?

haoli25

Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:33 pm

Oh come on now...we must have some standards here...are we letting in Deadheads too? :laugh:

From another Deadhead, welcome to TG. You are going to love it here. Neil has the best lessons on the internet and there are some great people from all over the world that will be only too happy to help you when you need it. Don't worry about your age, no one will hold your obvious youth against you here! :)

Glad to have you with us, Deadhead. Your tips, tricks, questions, and opinions are always welcome here.

Bill

BobR

Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:57 pm

Welcome Deadhead,

You've come to the right place. Neil is a great teacher and everyone at TG is very friendly and helpful. Enjoy the ride.

bob
from MA.

scotta

Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:42 pm

Welcome to TG Deadhead! I think you're gonna like it here. Good lessons and good people. Have fun!

Scott
Mississippi

BigBear

Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:56 pm

Hey Mr. Deadhead, welcome to the program from the Left Coast in Oregon! We're glad to have you with us. You'll fit right in with all of us old-timers! Except for the Dead and Springsteen I'm right there with you in favorite music. I can't stand either one but like beauty, musical taste is in the eye, or ear, of the beholder! lol! :laugh:

Don't stay a stranger on the forum and let us know if we can ever help you with anything. Lots of really great people here!

Cheers! :cheer:

p.s. I did learn to play Friend of the Devil just so I knew ONE Dead song! :laugh:

AndyT

Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:22 pm

Howzit DH. Aloha from Paradise!

Don't mind Bear, he often forget to take his medication. For example, he's actually from the Middle Coast because we all know Hawaii is the real West coast. LOL

You have chosen wisely. The red pill makes you listen to Lawrence Welk 24/7 and the Blue pill lands you here at TG. Congrats! You're going to have a ball!

tom18

Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:16 pm

Greetings DeadHead and welcome from NJ. You've found a great resource and community indeed. There's a lot of overlap in the music we like and as you can probably tell from my sig file that includes the Dead. Enjoy the site,
Tom

Craig

Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:05 am

Hey Deadhead, welcome from San Diego, California. The site is awesome, you will have a lot of fun. There are some great people here to offer you support and some positive feedback on your playing. Soon, you will spend so much time on the forum that you rarely practice! :laugh: lol
Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic