New guy on the block

Lavallee

Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:55 pm

Tommy, I am happy that that everything is Ok at Tg for you now. I am sure you will have a lot of fun from now on (addictive fun????). Support people are great.

Marc

sbutler

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:08 pm

Hey Tommy, I'm Scott, the old guy (52) from Alaska that posted the tread before ya. These guys on this site have got to be the most friendly group, that I've never met. They jumped to me as instantly as they have with you, and I feel they are all sincere, since we all came together with something very powerful in common. Must be those six magical strings. I too felt like I was in a rut, but instantly seemed to make a connection with Neils way of teaching. He obviously enjoys it, no matter what your skill level.

I've only been a member for a few weeks, and I can promise you this. If you practice the way I've been practicing (and I'm just barely above beginner), your skills will make quantum leaps.

But that brings me to a question for all you more seasoned veterans. Can a guy make a mistake by shooting to high? In other words, should we follow a slow progression of easy to play songs, or take on bigger challenges and really stretch ourselves?

Welcome Tommy.

If you didn't know how old you are, How old would you be?

tovo

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:16 pm

sbutler wrote:
But that brings me to a question for all you more seasoned veterans. Can a guy make a mistake by shooting to high? In other words, should we follow a slow progression of easy to play songs, or take on bigger challenges and really stretch ourselves?

Welcome Tommy.
In my opinion it's a good idea to have a song that is currently beyond your abilities to work on. If you only ever play within your current limit you will never exceed it.

AndyT

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:18 pm

You should be playing a constant stream of easier songs but also have some harder ones to work on over time and one or two long term songs you want to play. That way you always have something you can play, something your working on and something your planning for down the road.

sbutler

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:18 pm

Hey Tommy, I'm Scott, the old guy (52) from Alaska that posted the tread before ya. These guys on this site have got to be the most friendly group, that I've never met. They jumped to me as instantly as they have with you, and I feel they are all sincere, since we all came together with something very powerful in common. Must be those six magical strings. I too felt like I was in a rut, but instantly seemed to make a connection with Neils way of teaching. He obviously enjoys it, no matter what your skill level.

I've only been a member for a few weeks, and I can promise you this. If you practice the way I've been practicing (and I'm just barely above beginner), your skills will make quantum leaps.

Welcome Tommy.

If you didn't know how old you are, How old would you be?

haoli25

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:21 pm

sbutler wrote:

Hi Scott, that is a question that has been discussed on this board many times. The consensus of opinion is that you should challenge yourself with more difficult pieces that are just outside of your comfort zone. As you become more accomplished, the need to
'press your limits' is increased. Have fun with it.

Bill

ceaser67

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:21 pm

Marc i would like to thank you personally for you,re help,you were one of the first (of many)helpfull people on this site to reassure me i was in the right place (so to speak)and to be patient for that THANK YOU
Tommy

ceaser67

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:32 pm

Hi Scott
2 new guys eh,this is a very good site what i have seen so far,to all i have had any contact with anyway,it really seems to me friendly and extremely helpfull trust me i had a terrible time but the problem was with my own laptop,i am so glad i persevered till the problem was solved AT MY SIDE
Tommy

Lavallee

Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:04 pm

ceaser67 wrote:
Marc i would like to thank you personally for you,re help,you were one of the first (of many)helpfull people on this site to reassure me i was in the right place (so to speak)and to be patient for that THANK YOU
Tommy
My pleasure Tommy, I am sure you will have the chance to do the same to somebody else. It is easier to look zen when you know.

Have a good time

Marc

ceaser67

Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:27 pm

thanks marc ime sure i will have a good time hear,it may disrupt my business, as it 1 21am and ime still going through the lessons lol.(day of 2morrow)pity i have neighbours with a small child(2months) so a bit inappropriate to start playing guitar but really enjoying getting used to the site,
Thanks Again
Tommy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic