Yet another old guy that played a long time ago, only to find the guitar again.

Craig

Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:43 pm

Hi Scott,
Welcome from San Diego, California. There are many positive and encouraging folks here on the site (as you have seen already). I think you will love it. However, as fair warning, you may want to read the thread titled, "Grave Concerns..." :laugh:
Have fun,
Craig

takhak

Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:48 pm

Welcome Scott from Florida.Exellent site for old and young.
Tons of info.enjoy it.
Jim

AndyT

Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:08 pm

Scott,

Aloha from paradise!

I have a smashed, broken and generally mangled pinky on my left hand. I used to train and fight in Martial Arts competitions. After 3 years back on the guitar, I've managed to get it to make basic open chords for me about 90% of the time. I have the opposite problem though. You have no feeling, I have too much. I have 'phantom pain' in it most days. Can't find any reason for it but its there.

But my real problem is my shoulder.

All that is to say that you can and will overcome the limitations of your physical body. Many of us have challenges and I think it gives my playing that much more meaning to me.

Welcome to your new guitar home.

wrench

Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:59 pm

sbutler wrote:
My left index finger has been severed twice. Not completely off, but two different plastic surgeons have had a good bit of practicing their craft on that finger. At any rate. It no longer pays any attention to anything I tell it to do. I can't feel where it is, I've learned to locate it by the sounds it makes on the fretboard. If its in the right spot, it sounds good. If its not in the right spot, well I have to move it.
I just saw this post Scott. I think a couple of us can likely come up with some solid suggestions. I'll sleep on it overnight and write something up for you tomorrow. The encouraging news for you is that a few of us are a little banged up, and we have all managed to play. We'll figure something out.

The first thing that comes to mind is turning a disadvantage into an advantage. One of the least favorite tasks around here is using Neil's method of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fingers to make the G and A chords. However, if you do that, and expand the program to a few other chords, you will immediately minimize your use of the index finger.

Can you make barres with the index finger?

Dan

d_dog

Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:46 pm

Big Welcome from WA state! Looking forward to seeing you around. Sorry I can't offer any advise on the index finger issue, I do know that it has come up from time to time, so I'll bet someone can help.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic