Yet another old guy that played a long time ago, only to find the guitar again.

sbutler

Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:24 pm

Scott here from Alaska.

It would appear that a lot of us started as kids, then lost touch, or something, Only to find ourselves back with a new determination to learn how to play guitar. If I posted my story here, it would look much the same as many others.

I promised myself a long time ago, to not have regrets about anything I did or didn't do. But I have to confess, I wish I'd stayed with learning to play guitar all those lost years. Heck I might even be as good as Neil by now.

However, I do think that I have few years left in me,and there is a lot of catchin up to do,so I ain't quitin this time.

Scott

wrench

Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:28 pm

Welcome home, Scott. Don't be shy about asking questions. There's lots of help here for you. You'll make it this time. Most of us have so far, and we've had a blast doing it..

Dan

Catman

Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:29 pm

Oh No! Not another one...

But seriously, welcome aboard.

David

tovo

Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:31 pm

Hey Scott, welcome to TG from Australia. I now know that Alaska is part of the USA...not sure if I knew that before your last election! Your story is indeed familiar. You've come to a good place. Welcome again.

mcfingers

Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:34 pm

That's the attitude Scott. I think we'd all agree that it's never too late to do anything you enjoy doing. Welcome to the party.
Steve

neverfoundthetime

Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:37 pm

Welcome from Switzerland Scott! Hope you have a great time here and just remember you can check out but you can never leave! And we all want to know.... can you see Russia from your house? ;-)

Chasplaya

Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:48 pm

Welcome to TG from New Zealand Scott. Maybe we need to draft a templated story and we all just sign our names to it, given we mostly have similar tales to tell. Enjoy your time here lots to learn mate. Don't be a stranger to the Forum either ask and ye shall receive (some of it even useful!)

Chas

izzyhara

Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:54 pm

Welcome Scott, from Colorado. I have the same story - well except I am not an old guy. I am in fact an old woman. This is the best place to do what you want to do, and you now have many friends who share your passion. See ya around the forum. Izzy

sbutler

Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:55 pm

Well I will have tons of questions, and maybe a few answer's. No I can't see Russia from the house, however I am an airline pilot who fly's to the far north and west reach's of the state, and I've certainly heard Russians on the radio.

And since you offered, I do have my first question. It has to do with the clumsy digits on my left hand. My left index finger has been severed twice. Not completely off, but two different plastic surgeons have had a good bit of practicing their craft on that finger. At any rate. It no longer pays any attention to anything I tell it to do. I can't feel where it is, I've learned to locate it by the sounds it makes on the fretboard. If its in the right spot, it sounds good. If its not in the right spot, well I have to move it.

So here's the question: Does anyone else have a similar situation with a finger that has no feeling? If so, are there any tips I may learn from?

The frustrating part is that the end of the finger toughens up just like the rest. But close to the bone is perpetual pain that hasn't gone away in what is now my 14th month of a life with a guitar in my hand.

Chasplaya

Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:05 pm

sbutler wrote:

And since you offered, I do have my first question. It has to do with the clumsy digits on my left hand. My left index finger has been severed twice. Not completely off, but two different plastic surgeons have had a good bit of practicing their craft on that finger. At any rate. It no longer pays any attention to anything I tell it to do. I can't feel where it is, I've learned to locate it by the sounds it makes on the fretboard. If its in the right spot, it sounds good. If its not in the right spot, well I have to move it.

So here's the question: Does anyone else have a similar situation with a finger that has no feeling? If so, are there any tips I may learn from?

The frustrating part is that the end of the finger toughens up just like the rest. But close to the bone is perpetual pain that hasn't gone away in what is now my 14th month of a life with a guitar in my hand.
I kinda sympathise here, my left pinky has little or no feeling and doesn't do as its told all the time, hence I always have problems with some of Neils favoured fingerings of Chords, G in particular. I have no obvious answer for you apart from when you know you have a specific problem consider work arounds, I generally use the chord shapes Neil doesn't like the best, but occasionally the pinky works so it dumbfounds me at times when it does as its told lol.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic