Yet another old guy that played a long time ago, only to find the guitar again.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:09 pm

Hey Scott, sorry to hear about the finger. We do have folks here with similar problems and it's really inspiring how they master that difficulty. Send a PM to Wrench or just wait a while til he comes along to say hi, he'll have some good tips for you.

Strummer85

Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:53 pm

Welcome Scott from North Carolina. I played as a child and my Dad taught me a few chords but I gave it up. Now in my 40's I play every day. What inspired me was when I went to a friend's house and he had a guitar. I could barely remember Black Bird but it was enough to make me want to learn it. Today I am able to play it effortlessly among some other songs. Of course, I still have many challenges which I am working on such as Classical Gas but I too wished that I never put my guitar down.

You picked the best website for instruction. Neil is so very detailed and his versions are the exact versions of the original artist. Something not always eaisly found.

Rodney

tovo

Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:04 pm

Scott I have an issue with one of the fingers on my fretting hand. It isn't the same issue, i.e. no feeling, but I suspect that the more times you can land the finger correctly the more chance there is of it landing correctly all the time. In other words, repetitive practice should have a positive affect on the muscle memory even if you can't feel the finger. I have nothing to suggest with the pain though.

BobR

Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:16 pm

Welcome Scott from Massachusetts. As you can see (read) you're in great company here. Everyone's so friendly and very helpful. As others have said it's the best site for learning guitar. Hopefully you'll find some answers on your finger. I'm missing the tip on my index finger of my right hand so I am no help.

Have fun and enjoy.

Bob

buddy

Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:28 pm

Scott,

Welcome and old guys rule.

Bud

dekotaj

Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:34 pm

Hi Scott,

Hears to hopping guitar playing keeps us young.Good luck.

Kevin
Northern Illinois

sbutler

Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:38 pm

I find that muscle memory is a happening thing. It does work, unless I get up early and the only thing in my system is coffee. I doubt that I could play anything with good fingers, let alone the ones I have.

So far it shows up on the cord progression, up the neck on Blackbird. Not only is there a problem landing on the right fret, but pulling it off to go to another can be a listening adventure as well.

Thanks for the tip.

Scott

sbutler

Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:52 pm

Welcome Scott,
We share a very familiar homecoming to the guitar. This site has rekindled the fire to learn more and get better. Your story is inspiring, I'll never complain about my fingers anymore and I hope someone has some good ideas for you.
Chan

AcousticAl

Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:58 pm

A big welcome from Canada, Scott.

Looking forward to hearing from you in the forums and seeing your videos.

Al

Lavallee

Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:31 pm

Hi Scott welcome to TG, from Canada again. I am sure that you will have a great time learning here and celebrate the small victories on the forum.

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic