53 Years Young Beginner

datazman

Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:26 pm

Paul,

I'm 48 and started 6 months ago. I played for about a year when I was 18 but only because I wanted to learn some Genesis/Pink Floyd/ELP/Camel songs. Back in those days it was near impossible for me because all you could get was sheet music, pretty much all of it for the piano. I don't have that much of a musical ear to pick it up naturally from the record.

I joined the target program (6 month subscription) and consider it money well spent. I'm pretty sure I will extend it. My only gripe is that I would like to see more songs being added. Having said that, that's a mistake I made...I can play parts of many songs but only a few all the way through. I've given myself a bollocking for that and am deliberately trying to step backwards a bit in order to get full songs down.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Mark (Manchester, UK)
Mark:

Thank you for the worm welcome.

From having played music before (Violin) I found that the trick for me was to learn a song backwards. That way when I got to the beginning I knew the whole song.
Give it a try. It worked for me over 40 years ago. I tried it with the 'Stairway to Heaven' lesson and have the whole song down but just need to get better at it. And that was after a couple of weeks. The idea is you want to play the beginning and have to self motivate to get there. So it is still working for me.

Ta Ta
Paul

TGMatt

Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:27 pm

tamworthblue wrote:
Paul,

I'm 48 and started 6 months ago. I played for about a year when I was 18 but only because I wanted to learn some Genesis/Pink Floyd/ELP/Camel songs. Back in those days it was near impossible for me because all you could get was sheet music, pretty much all of it for the piano. I don't have that much of a musical ear to pick it up naturally from the record.

I joined the target program (6 month subscription) and consider it money well spent. I'm pretty sure I will extend it. My only gripe is that I would like to see more songs being added. Having said that, that's a mistake I made...I can play parts of many songs but only a few all the way through. I've given myself a bollocking for that and am deliberately trying to step backwards a bit in order to get full songs down.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Mark (Manchester, UK)
Hey Mark..Greta to have you onboard..

I couldnt help comment on your post as I was puzzled to say the least..

When we launched Target we promised to load 4 songs a month, which would consist of a mix of skill levels...most normal folk could never keep up with that load alone, but since then, and I have rechecked our averages, we have loaded on average 12 songs a month, and on top of that dozens and dozens of theory lessons, bonus lessons, electric lessons, and all sorts of extra material...this last week we launched something every day including Saturday..

I would love to understand your comment better , as we are flooding Target with content and songs..so perhaps you could Private message me and give me more detail , or maybe it is just that you are not seeing the releases posted ??..

Anyways, glad your on board..

Cheers

BigBear

Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:02 pm

Paul- welcome to Totally Guitars and the best guitar education site on the internet! You will really enjoy your experience here with all the free stuff.

If you want to get serious about learning this wonderful instrument you should consider joining the TARGET program. Anyone with a bullseye under their avatar is a member. Joining the TARGET program almost a year ago was the single best investment I've ever made in guitar education and my ability level has skyrocketed because of it.

If you need any testimonials any of us that are addicted to this site and learning will gladly confirm what I'm saying. It's really stunning how much value we get from a relatively low cost program. There is a free TARGET lesson I believe that you can review and see if you like the format.

Anyway, think about it and in the meantime welcome again and enjoy the site!

Cheers! :cheer:

datazman

Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:39 pm

BigBear:

I will be joining the Target Program: refer to this post:

Post 40996

Thank you for the welcome.

Ta Ta for now.
Paul

Chasplaya

Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:15 pm

G'Day from Chas in New Zealand. Mate April can't come round quick enough for ya. Like the song says

'You can check-out any time you like,
But you can never leave!'

Loads of info here in the Forum , some of which is actually useful lol.

Enjoy your time here, we may have a chat later about R/C , I fly (try to fly) Helo's.

regards

Chas

datazman

Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:16 pm

G'Day from Chas in New Zealand. Mate April can't come round quick enough for ya. Like the song says

'You can check-out any time you like,
But you can never leave!'

Loads of info here in the Forum , some of which is actually useful lol.

Enjoy your time here, we may have a chat later about R/C , I fly (try to fly) Helo's.

regards

Chas
Chas:
Do not get me going on about R/C on a Guitar site! :)
I would love to chat sometime in email or at either RCGroups or RCUniverse.

Thank you for the worm welcome.

Ta Ta
Paul

tovo

Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:45 pm

Hi Paul from Australia, capital of New Zealand.

Good to have you on board. Love the avatar, it would suit quite a few of us I reckon. Sounds like you have the fever for guitar and that's a good thing. I've always admired anyone who can get music from a violin as well. Learning songs backwards? I hope you don't play them backwards as well, could be some dark messages hidden in there (apparently!). Welcome again and happy playing.

datazman

Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:33 pm

Tovo:

Thank you for the welcome.

Re Violin: once you get the fingering dead on the only trick is to keep plenty rosin on the bow. The Guitar is a much more complex instrument seeing it has 6 strings verses 4. The advantage with a guitar is the frets. Still, if you are just interested in finger picking like I am, the guitar is more difficult to play.

Playing backwards: I never thought of playing note for note backwards, do you think I would start spitting dark green stuff and gaining the ability to turn my head 360 degrees if I did?

Ta Ta.
Paul

izzyhara

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:19 pm

Hi Paul. Welcome from Colorado. As you can see, we are all over the world here. It is way too much fun and you will learn a lot. The site is so well run, and loaded with songs and voice lessons and.... you name it !! Don't worry if you all of a sudden feel really overwhelmed - I know I did when I first started because there were SO many songs, and such great teaching. Took me a bit to just settle in and actually learn a song from start to finish. Don't be a stranger to the forum, as there are amazing people here who will become very good friends on your guitar journey. Izzy

neverfoundthetime

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:30 pm

Hi Paul, welcome from Switzerland to your new asylum ... I'm assuming your avatar pic was taken at the old one? ;-). No worries, on the inside, we all look like you do on the outside, when it comes to guitars playing.

@Izzy. If some heavy guys in black suits and sunglasses turn up at your door within the hour, it's because I think I just inadvertently reported your last post to the moderator! Sorry, too much coffee!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic