53 Years Young Beginner

goldleaf

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:39 pm

Paul, welcome from N. California. I look at all the songs I'd like to learn on TG and there is no way I could ever learn all I already have on my list much less the new ones that are always coming out. I think the greatest thing about TG, and there are many, is Neil's ability to take a song from a great band or singer and convert it so it can be played on a single guitar. He then breaks these down into 10 or 12 parts for the lesson so the average person can actually learn to play it. I don't know anywhere else where I could get that level of learning guitar for what TG costs. Glad to have you aboard. Gary

Catman

Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:36 am

Hi Paul,

Welcome from Israel. When I was about 9, I came in second in a violin contest. Of course, there were only two entrants :(

David

datazman

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:26 pm

Izzy, neverfoundthetime, Gary and David.

Thank you all for the worm welcome.

It is very apparent to me now that this will be a great experience with a large world wide support group in the TG Community.

As I have already mentioned in an earlier post I am planning to join Target April 2nd or 3rd depending when the funds will be available in my PayPal account. (Don’t like to use my Credit if I do not have to)

Thanks for the encouragement.
Ta Ta for now.
Paul

johnrfeeney

Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:57 pm

Welcome - yep similar stories all around

i'm 54 and hadn't really played for years on end - picked up the guitar will a burning desire to really learn how to play it around last August. Have been practicing about 14-20 hrs a week since.

but - for me it's starting out with the really boring stuff like music theory and learning the scales first. I do get in some song playing for comic relief.

Neil does an excellent job at teaching the theory behind the song.

datazman

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:34 pm

John:
Thank you for the worm welcome.

Practice makes perfect as the saying goes. You definitely seem driven. Getting 2 to 2 ½ hours to practice per day is awesome. I sometimes do not have the energy during the week after working 8 hours.

Learning theory and scales is a great way to get started. Cords are simply partial scales. (you probably knew that)

The day I bought my guitar I bought a beginners book to find out what notes went to which string and how to finger the notes in between. Having learned music earlier in my life (more like force fed) I remembered most of the keys. (scales) Also in the beginner book was a cord card. I found that I could strum D, C, A and Am pretty well. When I found TG and saw the video preview for 'Stairway to Heaven” I could see some of those cords were in the song. I relay wanted to play that number so I purchased the lesson. I have been working on it for a while and when I get to the parts of the song that has cords I can play well I get through that portion easier than the rest of the song. (the bar cords are the toughest part) I have also started on “The Sound of Silence” (Arranged by Jorge Nolla) that is primarily played with the A and D cords and getting through that one pretty quick.

What I am getting at is, (and I am no expert) perhaps you should find a song that you like that has cords in it that you are comfortable with. It has worked for me so far and along the way I learn more cords! After you get the mechanics of a song down the timing has to be perfect if you are playing in a band but relatively important if you play for yourself. If you play a song the way you feel it the only people that will notice slight off timing is another musician AND Neil of course.

From what I have experienced so far; Neil is a great teacher.

On that note, perhaps I should re-classify myself as a Knowledgeable Beginner.

Ta Ta for now.
Paul

sws626

Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:27 pm

Hi Paul,

Welcome to TG! I've been catching up on the site and can see you've already received a very warm welcome. The lessons are terrific and I really encourage you to join. I'd been away from music for the better part of three decades and credit this site for it now being a part of my daily life. Joining Target has been the best investment I've made in learning. And the community on the forum is an incredibly rich resource. Once you're comfortable with the progress you are making on the two songs you mentioned, I'd encourage you to upload a video. The feedback you'll receive will definitely be constructive and helpful.

-Stuart

datazman

Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:54 pm

Stuart:

Thank you for the words of encouragement.

I am not ready to upload a video yet as I need to find a good quality microphone for my laptop to use with the built in Web Cam.

ALSO: It is official! I am now a Target Member. I just signed up for 6 months to give it a try. My only apprehension is finding enough solo lessons to keep me happy.

Thank you for the reply.

Ta Ta for now.
Paul

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic