53 Years Young Beginner

datazman

Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:18 am

I Live in McGraw, New York USA (30 miles south of Syracuse)
I played Violin for 6 years in my youth. Now at 53 years young I have a longing to play music again. The Violin was not what I was looking for and bought my first guitar (Yamaha FG720S) in late February. (2010) In my internet search for music to play I instantly learned about Tabs; interesting way to learn to play an instrument although I prefer Tablature that includes the notation to better time the music.
I am having fun learning my new instrument. Also in my internet search I found Totally Guitars and bought a few lessons so far and learning to play. Neal seems to know how to turn on the 'oh yea' for me when it comes to learning.
I will be joining the Target Program in April, (2010) I am on a budget and have an extra paycheck so I will start with a 6 month membership. I see many songs I want to learn but realize I have to start with the basics.
My taste in music varies; Of course I want to learn songs from my generation form artists like The Beach Boys, Simon and Garfunkel, The Beatles, ect. But I also enjoy modern music as well. (Pop and soft Rock)

Other interests include Photography, R/C Aero-Modeling and Amateur Radio.

Ta Ta for now.
Paul Osinski

tom18

Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:29 am

Hi Paul,
And welcome to TG from New Jersey. A lot of us have similar stories of having played as teens and then putting aside our instruments while pursuing family and careers. You've landed on a great resource and I'm sure you'll learn a lot and enjoy your time here. All the best,
Tom

datazman

Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:53 am

Tom:
Thank you for the words of encouragement.
Yes I feel just listening to music is not cutting it any more.
I am already learning that Bar Cords are going to be a challenge. I bought the lesson for “Stairway to Heaven” and that first cord was a tough one on the muscles of my right forearm but I am getting it.

Ta Ta for now.
Paul

haoli25

Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:03 am

Hello Paul. Glad you have decided to join us at TG. This is an amazing site and Neil has the best lessons on the internet. You will also find that there are many, many great musicians (and even better people) on this site all willing to help you if you need. So if you have any questions or just need some help finding your way around the site, just ask. Your comments and opinions are also welcome here. Have fun.

Bill

Lavallee

Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:09 am

Hi Paul welcome to TG from Montreal Canada. Once you will be in Target, you will see that there are many lessons to help on bar chords and fingerpicking.As Bill mentionned, there are a lot of people on the site that can offer some good suggestions. Looking forward to hear from you in the forum.

Marc

datazman

Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:10 am

Bill:
More words of encouragement, Thank you.

Thank you for pointing out that I can get help from the membership as well. I have not had a chance to fully explore all the TG Community and will give it a look when I get a chance.

Paul

datazman

Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:20 am

Marc:
More words of encouragement, Thank you for the welcoming.

I do plan to use the forum’s for help and eventually hope to be able to add some valuable input.
I am looking forward to the total TG experience.

Ta Ta.
Paul

wrench

Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:22 am

Welcome aboard Paul. There isn't a better place to make up for lost time. I, too, am a 50-something beginner, and I know musical success is here for any work you are willing to put into it. I've been here about a year, and the progress of many our members is remarkable. Good choice on TARGET, as it is the candy store. If they put nothing else in there, it will take me about 200 years to get through it all.

I am a big fan of Yamaha guitars, too. I strongly recommend getting a good setup done to it, and you can have one of the easiest to play instruments out there. I have an FG700S that I started with, an FG730S, and my crown jewel is an LJ6. I am amazed at that LJ6; it is far too fine an instrument for my playing level.

Ask as many questions as you wish. We have a very special international community here that is more like an extended family than a forum, and I doubt you could ask a question that we couldn't help you with.

datazman

Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:32 am

Thank you for the welcome.

Guitar setup:
I took my Guitar to a local Music store yesterday and the owner adjusted the neck for me for free! Not only that but he spent about ½ an hour with me giving me pointers as he could see I have a good understanding of music. It was like getting a free lesson.

I am enjoying the Yamaha and am considering purchasing another in the future. I like the look of the FG750S (sycamore body) but have not found one I can try out to listen to the tone quality.

Ta Ta.
Paul

mzuko

Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:36 am

My wife got me a guitar for my 48th birthday two years ago. Tough going. I play on average 10 hours a week and am determined to improve.
I have had several different teachers, but each time I was bored. Easier for me to do it on my own with several good books and a few internet sites. Good luck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic