Introducing abbenormal to Totally Guitars

abbenormal

Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:02 pm

Jeanne Miller Burlington, VT

I'm 57 and I am picking up the guitar again after many years away. I taught myself chords and little melody lines. I never took lessons and can't read music. I can only play, like most others I guess, just snatches of song intros. I'm trying to learn fingerstyle but I am sadly out of condition.

I have a classical guitar my brother gave me back in the early 60's. I don't know what kind it is. It only says "made in Western Germany" inside the soundhole. I bought an Esteban acoustic/electric, but I'm so used to my nylon strings, that I keep breaking strings on it whenever I try to tune it. :) I also have a Fender 12 string. I want a Collings guitar and a Fender Strat if I ever have the money.

I love most music except I'm not too crazy about country. I want to play rock of course as I love it, but also want to learn some fingerstyle standards like Brian's Song..Two For the Road, most Mancini, and would also like to learn some Bossa Nova.

I would die to learn how to play some of the above mentioned fingerstyle songs. It looks really hard though. And finding any fingerstyle lessons that aren't folk songs is almost impossible. I'm trying to work on Romanza right now.

Well, what I do is a bit different. I'm a Pet Psychic Medium. I love my work but it can be draining and emotional. That is one reason I want to pick up my guitar again. I want something just for me that will help me renew my spirit.

I'm afraid because of my work, I live a pretty isolated life, so not much to tell there. I have a rescue Siamese and he has four pet mice. LOL They make me happy, but being out in the world can be painful because I seem to pick up everything...especially negative energy. That's why I want to focus on music..it will make me feel a little less ...well...freakish I guess. LOL

Lavallee

Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi Jeanne, welcome to TG from Montreal. There are quite a few fingerpicking songs in the Target program should you decide to join. You have access to the best teacher. You have an interesting and out of the ordinary job.

Marc

haoli25

Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:12 pm

Hello Jeanne and welcome to the TG Forum. Glad you decided to join us here. As you will find out, TG has a little bit of everything EXCEPT negative energy. Neil Hogan has the best lessons on the internet and he will have you fingerpicking some of your favorite songs in no time. You will also find that TG has some of the best musicians and greatest people on the planet, all willing to help you if you need it. If you have a question or just need a little help navigating the site, just ask. Your tips, tricks, opinions, and questions are always welcome here. Happy Playing. :)

Bill

synchroscape

Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:16 pm

Hi Jeanne and welcome to Totally guitars from Brampton On. You are indeed in a unique occupation but for enjoyment and relaxation this the place to be. Lot's of great friendly and caring/sharing folk with the same goal in mind. I learned (or thought I learned how to play dust in the wind 20 odd years ago- boy was I wrong) but am now re-learning through Neil's expert lessons and if I may add the only pain I feel in here is in my fingers-lol. Welcome-cheers and enjoy.-Dave

neverfoundthetime

Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:28 pm

Hi Jeanne welcome from Switzerland! There's nothing strange about your profession at all... I do the same thing with sports people! ;-). We do have some engineers here so they have "strange occupation" covered... as you will see! Have fun.

abbenormal

Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:08 pm

Thank you so much for such a warm welcome! OK, this is how out of sync I am with the world. I had no idea I was posting to the forum. I thought it was a questionaire for the person who owns the site. LOL But having you all be so kind, I'm glad now that this was public. I know I will like it here very much! Oh, and I'm really only 22...not..LOL

sws626

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:35 pm

Hi Jeanne,

Welcome to TG! Neil's lessons are full of inspiration and guidance to help you pursue your interest in fingerstyle guitar. And, in addition to the music, you'll find a lot of positive energy in the forum.

-Stuart

BobR

Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:06 pm

Hi Jeanne,

Welcome to TG. You've come to the right place to continue learning the guitar. As you can see there are plenty of friendly members always will to help if you want.

Bob

tovo

Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:42 pm

abbenormal wrote:
Jeanne Miller Burlington, VT

I love most music except I'm not too crazy about country.
On that basic Jeanne you have found a kindred spirit...all the way from Australia.

Welcome aboard.

AcousticAl

Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:25 pm

Hi Jeanne,
Thanks for the detailed intro to yourself. You have an interesting job there!

I enjoy fingerpicking songs as well, and there's no shortage of them on TG and TARGET. Just take note of the rating/numbers beside the songs in the Master Menu to gauge if it's right for you. I think Romanza is pretty advanced- though I haven't tried it yet.

Have fun and keep contributing to the forum.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic