Just getting started

MikeSalt

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:50 pm

Hi TG folks! I've been a member for awhile, but haven't introduced myself. I'm 57 and have never played a musical instrument, so I know almost nothing about music theory let alone the guitar. One day, my wife brought home this beautiful Taylor guitar (she played a little in high school), and I adopted it! I found TG and knew immediately that this site and all the great people would help me learn to play and have some fun. The lessons are just right and I've been learning a ton. It's so much fun I wish I had started long ago. I've been working on all the beginner stuff, and have seen progress since day one. Doing mostly strumming and finger picking stuff (not very good with a flat pick yet). Still learning barre chords and being able to change to them cleanly. I recently relocated from the Boston area (Go Sox!) to southern CA. Happy to be part of the group!

coomba

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:59 pm

G'day MickSalt
Great to here from you and welcome to the forum.
You look pretty comfortable with that guitar, Maybe your wife will need to get another one so you two can start jamming together.
Have fun
Cheers
Scott

jayswett

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:11 pm

57 and just starting. I love it. I've been a member for a year and have learned a ton. I look forward to watching your progress. I'd highly recommend posting a few videos.

MarkM

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:45 pm

Mike,

Welcome from NH. So you left soggy/cold New England for Sunny CA.... Nice. This site is fantastic. I've learned a great deal about music, guitar and a bit about myself in the journey. Can't wait to see your first video.

MarkM

tom18

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:49 pm

Hi Mike,
And welcome from New Jersey. I'm a transplanted Bay Stater as well and also took up the guitar at the tender age of 57. Actually I had played for a few years as a teenager, but had set it aside for quite a while as I pursued my career. This site's been great for getting things going again. Looking forward to your posts.
Tom

haoli25

Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:52 pm

Hello Mike. Well, now that you have introduced yourself here in the Forum, don't be a stranger now. In addition to Neil's great lessons, we have many memebers in New England and SoCal, as well as friendly members from all over the world willing to help you if you need it. Your thoughts, opinions, and questions are always welcome here. BigBear (Rick) will be along soon and ask you about your Taylor guitar. :)

Glad to have you with us.

Bill

BobR

Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:30 pm

Mike,

Welcome from Mass.(Go SOX). Wow, my wife never brought home a Taylor for me. As you'll find out this is the best guitar site ever. You'll have a great time here.

Bob

MarkM

Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:34 pm

haoli25 wrote:
Hello Mike. Well, now that you have introduced yourself here in the Forum, don't be a stranger now. In addition to Neil's great lessons, we have many memebers in New England and SoCal, as well as friendly members from all over the world willing to help you if you need it. Your thoughts, opinions, and questions are always welcome here. BigBear (Rick) will be along soon and ask you about your Taylor guitar. :)

Glad to have you with us.

Bill

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I was going to jump in there on that one but figured the same that Big Bear or Dennis would take the honors.

MarkM

izzyhara

Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:35 pm

Welcome from Colorado. The beginner lessons here are simply the best. Imagine that you will learn to play correctly from the beginning, while many of us are having to break bad habits that have endured for decades. Hope you have a good time, and we are all here to help you out. Izzy

tovo

Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:37 pm

Hi Mike. Good intro, thanks for doing that. You play a Taylor eh? I think you are the only one on TG....NOT. Welcome aboard glad to have you here.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic