Introducing donjan to Totally Guitars

donjan

Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 pm

Introduce yourself. What is your name and location?

Don MacGregor
Prince Edward Island
Canada

Tell us a little about your story, you can tell us your age if your game but not necessary (or age bracket, we have a truly diverse group). When did you take up guitar? How long have you been playing? What led you to look for lessons or help, how is it you ended up here?

I recently retired from after a 35 year career in police work. I have been playing guitar for many years but my knowledge and ability have probably plateaued. I came across the T.G. site while browsing in Youtube and there seems to be some very interesting stuff here. Hopefully this will provide some stimulation to advance my guitar knowledge and skills.

What Kind of Guitar do you play? Do you have any others in your stable? Do you lust after anything else specifically? (all of us here have the 'disease' it seems)

I have a couple of Yamaha steel string acoustics as well as a Yamaha classical style. My most recent purchase is a Yamaha DW-15 acoustic.

What is your favorite music to play? How about to listen to? What kind of playing styles would you like to learn or already know?

I still love the old stuff, Beatles, Eagles, James Taylor and stuff like that although I also enjoy some of the country tunes especially the classics. I have developed a taste for Bluegrass and I picked up a mandolin that I am learning some Bluegrass stuff on.

If there was one goal you could accomplish in your learning journey what would that be? or maybe you have many?

Just to become more knowledgeable and to have a better understanding of the guitar fretboard and musical theory. Certainly learing some new tunes appeals to me.

If you are comfortable share with us your work a little, job, business, whatever you want to say.

Since I am now retired I have more time on my hands to spend on hobbies. The winters up here are pretty long and cold so there should be lots of time to devote to practicing and learning some knew stuff.

Anything else you would like to share ? Anything about your family, hobbies outside of Guitar? On the site you will meet everyone from golfers to Gourmet Chef's to car nuts, and sports folk..and everyone in between. Whatever else you may want to add?

Come spring I spend a lot more time outdoors with gardening, golf, etc. etc. Hopefully there will still be some time to spend with my instruments. Each summer I get together with some old school chums for a weekend at a cottage. The guitars usually come out sitting around the campfire. Hopefully I can impress them with some new tunes.