Introducing dcove78 to Totally Guitars

dcove78

Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:21 pm

Introduce yourself. What is your name and location?

I'm Derik, 31, from Dearborn Heights, Michigan

Tell us a little about your story, you can tell us your age if your game but not necessary (or age bracket, we have a truly diverse group). When did you take up guitar? How long have you been playing? What led you to look for lessons or help, how is it you ended up here?

My name is Derik and I just started playing guitar in Jan of '09. A longtime basketball junkie, i've had 2 shoulder surgeries in the last 18 months and have spent alot of time at home on the couch. I decided to pick up a guitar out of boredom and fell in love with it. I always wanted to play, but "never had the time". Even when I didn't have use of my strum arm, I was surprised just how much guitar theory grabbed my attention. I would spend 2-3 hrs a day just reading through The Grimoir and running up and down the neck learning scales and such. Once I regained use of my arm the 1st thing I did was start playing. It feels so natural, that I wished I would've started 15 yrs ago! I feel like I have a good ear and can "play along" with just about anything.

What Kind of Guitar do you play? Do you have any others in your stable? Do you lust after anything else specifically? (all of us here have the 'disease' it seems)

I play an old '86 Washburn electric that was given to me by my Father in Law.

What is your favorite music to play? How about to listen to? What kind of playing styles would you like to learn or already know?

Anything from Avenged Sevenfold thru ZZ Top! I prefer agressive metal, but I'm starting to get more of a bluesy feel. My play seems to mirror my moods. I can get lost in just abstract tones for hours at a time.

If there was one goal you could accomplish in your learning journey what would that be? or maybe you have many?

I'm trying to focus on learning entire songs not just a little of this and that. I like to just sit and play what I happen to "feel" at any given time and my wife would love it if I could play through her favorite songs.

If you are comfortable share with us your work a little, job, business, whatever you want to say.

I have a 3yr old son and I want to show him every path in life that I can. Sports, Music, Acedemics & let him decide where he wants to go in life.

Anything else you would like to share ? Anything about your family, hobbies outside of Guitar? On the site you will meet everyone from golfers to Gourmet Chef's to car nuts, and sports folk..and everyone in between. Whatever else you may want to add?

My son is my life's motivation. I'd rather him see me playing guitar and learning to get better through practice and hard work. I want nothing more than to teach him everything I know & watch him surpass it.