Introducing aussiehomer to Totally Guitars

aussiehomer

Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:17 am

Introduce yourself. What is your name and location?

Steve — Adelaide, SA, Aust.

Tell us a little about your story, you can tell us your age if your game but not necessary (or age bracket, we have a truly diverse group). When did you take up guitar? How long have you been playing? What led you to look for lessons or help, how is it you ended up here?

I'm 34. I struggled with learning guitar through my teenage years and early 20's. I never really got past being able to strum a few chords (I s'pose it's because I never really practiced that hard — or often :D).
I've always had a reasonable — by my standards — singing voice. Almost a couple of years ago, I was encouraged by my wife to join my local Weekend Warriors program as a singer (if you don't have it where you are, it's where you go along to a jam session, then they put you with others to form a band, you rehearse for 4 weeks, then you do a 25-30 min bracket with other bands in the program).
My band stayed together until recently, performing a few (non-paying) gigs along the way, but I left towards the end of last year, with the intentions of having a break for a while to concentrate on my studies.
I got the idea to learn keyboards while I was in my band, as the guitar spots were well and truly filled, but I was never that keen on it. With me now being out of a band, I've decided to swap my keyboard for an electric guitar (and amp, of course) and have a serious crack at learning to play. I might even join another band!

What Kind of Guitar do you play? Do you have any others in your stable? Do you lust after anything else specifically? (all of us here have the 'disease' it seems)

I've got an el cheapo $50 classical at the moment, but I'll shortly be getting a Strat copy (another el cheapo). If I can stick to it (and, at the moment, I can't see why I shouldn't), I might invest in a Squier Strat — I should be able to afford it by then! I'd love to get a David Gilmour replica Strat.

What is your favorite music to play? How about to listen to? What kind of playing styles would you like to learn or already know?

Listening — Pink Floyd (obviously), Rage Against The Machine, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Foo Fighters...the list goes on and on. I'm listening to Them Crooked Vultures a lot at the moment. I'd just like to learn rock guitar — I think something like Metallica's stuff would be beyond me, for a while anyway.

If there was one goal you could accomplish in your learning journey what would that be? or maybe you have many?

If I could get as good as Dave Gilmour, or even nearly as good, I'd be one happy chappie.

If you are comfortable share with us your work a little, job, business, whatever you want to say.

I'm an Accounting student at a TAFE college.

haoli25

Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:27 am

Hello Steve. Welcome to TG, glad you decided to join us here. You have came to the right place to learn guitar. Neil has the best lessons on the internet. There are also many great people here willing to help you along if you get stuck. As you will find out, many of them are also Aussies. (Including the site owner) As I said, glad you are here, if you have any questions, just ask.

Bill

michelew

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:08 pm

Fantastic...another Aussie to fill our ranks. A big welcome from Sydney Steve. You've made the right decision. If you really want to learn and play like your idol then I suggest you join the TARGET program. The free stuff is great and will keep you busy for a while. But, if you like Neil's style (and why wouldn't you) then TARGET is where the action is. You can join for a month at the moment too. So don't think too long. See you around. Michele

TGMatt

Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:49 pm

Welcome , that makes you the 4th Adelaide Tg'er I now of including my old origins...welcome..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic