Hi from Austin!

kpeterson

Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:10 am

Hello,

My name is Kennon, and I live in Austin, TX. Both of my parents are musicians, so music has always been a part of my life. (In case anyone is curious, they play old timey music. My mother plays the banjo, and my father plays the harmonica and fiddle.) I grew up playing the violin but became interested in playing the guitar when I was a teenager. So, my parents purchased an acoustic Yamaha guitar for me when I turned 16. I taught myself a handful of chords and songs. I started with songs my mother played for me when I was a young child. I moved on to Tracy Chapman (my favorite artist) and some other, random artists. Then, life got hectic, and I put my guitar down for many years. I am determined to relearn what I forgot and to learn much more.

This website seems to offer the perfect opportunity to learn despite having a somewhat hectic, irregular schedule. Thanks to the creators and users for generating such a flexible, friendly learning environment!

Kennon

jim56

Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:27 am

Hi Kennon and welcome to TG,

You hit the mother load for guitar teaching websites! If you haven't already considered joining the TARGET program please do, got a special going on now. Check it out. Plenty to learn here from the friendly members here at TG.

Jim in Lincoln, NE

lmc831

Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:35 am

Hi Kennon

Welcome to TG. It has ALOT to offer and our little community has a bunch of great folks from all over the world. Hey, I live in Austin, Texas too!

Lisa

tovo

Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:36 pm

Hey Kennon, welcome from Australia. Never been to Texas but it's on my list, I think the wide open spaces I have heard about would be to my liking.

I really dig Tracy Chapman. I can't say I have listened to all of her stuff, but certainly the stuff that has had broad popularity. Would love to learn "Fast Car"...definitely on that long list of songs for me to try.

The website IS great, you picked up on that. I recall seeing a visitor write in the chat room that it didn't seem "cool" enough for him. Well you can learn techniques that will be absolutely applicable to a large range of songs, and meet a lot of great people doing it. That seems pretty cool to me. Hope you go for Target, and welcome aboard.

BobR

Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:45 pm

Hi Kennon,

Welcome to TG. As the others here have said you've come to the right place. It definitely has everything you need to learn the guitar. Great site, great people, great lessons, what else is there?

Bob
from MA.

Lavallee

Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:46 pm

Hi Kennon, welcome to TG from Montreal Canada. I am sure you will have a time learning from the best teacher. Hope you will consider the Target program for a wide range of lessons where you will learn "how to".

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic