Introducing nightraid to Totally Guitars

nightraid

Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:42 pm

Introduce yourself. What is your name and location?

Will James. I go to Davidson College in North Carolina. I live in Charlotte.

Tell us a little about your story, you can tell us your age if your game but not necessary (or age bracket, we have a truly diverse group). When did you take up guitar? How long have you been playing? What led you to look for lessons or help, how is it you ended up here?

I picked up guitar in high school (about 5 years ago) but stopped taking lessons once my AP courses and workload picked up. Thus, I stopped playing for that year. My friends asked me to jam one day about 3 years ago and we played a few random songs. I found my dad's vintage electric guitars in my attic and played with one of those. I found that the pickups were broken and I purchased a guitar from one of my friends who wasn't playing his anymore (it was one of those Strat knockoffs that comes in one of those starter kits. Last summer I purchased an HSS Strat for myself. I recently started a jam band on campus and plan on custom building my own guitar from Warmoth this summer.

What Kind of Guitar do you play? Do you have any others in your stable? Do you lust after anything else specifically? (all of us here have the 'disease' it seems)

Fender Stratocaster HSS and Ovation Acoustic Electric are my two main guitars. I also have an Ibanez Strat knockoff and some of my dad's older guitars (pickups are broken in all of these). This summer, I want to build a guitar similar to Tom Morello's "Arm the Homeless" or "Soul Power" guitars.
As far as pedals, I've got a Digitech Whammy, a Boss ME-20 (Multi Effects pedal), and a Memory Man Digital Delay with Hazarai. My Peavey amp is a real piece of shite though.

What is your favorite music to play? How about to listen to? What kind of playing styles would you like to learn or already know?

I'm all over the place for music taste. Alternative rock, indie rock, some punk, nu-metal, classic rock, and alternative metal. Pretty much anything with an electric guitar in it (though I'm not hugely fond of country) or good harmony.

If there was one goal you could accomplish in your learning journey what would that be? or maybe you have many?

I'm currently working on expanding my repertoire and improving my dexterity for solos. And I'm also interested in modifying electric guitars and building them.