Introducing mrmatt to Totally Guitars

mrmatt

Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:06 pm

Introduce yourself. What is your name and location?

Hi, my name is Matt and I'm in the Washington DC area.

Tell us a little about your story, you can tell us your age if your game but not necessary (or age bracket, we have a truly diverse group). When did you take up guitar? How long have you been playing? What led you to look for lessons or help, how is it you ended up here?

OK so I'm 50 and I guess this is kind of cliche, with the motorcycle sitting in the garage and all. I'm not riding as much as I thought I would, but I'm definately spending lots of time with my guitar. Playing guitar has been on my wish list for so long I'm not sure what exactly gave me the push to finally jump in. Just before the big snow storm we had a couple of months ago I went out and bought a Yamaha FG700S acoustic, and so I had something to do while we were all snowed in for a whole week. And I was hooked. Even without having any actual ablilty to play at first, I had a blast with my new Yammie and practiced until my fingers were torn up, then played some more. Now I can play some open chords and almost play a few barre chords, and I see a whole new world opening up for me. Finding this site was a huge break for me. I won't call it luck because I really scoured the web and found a bunch of guitar sites, but this one is unique. I already know a little about music because I took piano lessons way back when, but I ran out of motivation because I wasn't having fun. That hasn't been a problem with guitar and this site is part of the reason. So far I've just used the freebies and I can't wait to try the full access. Thanks for adding the monthly option Neil - even though the 6 and 12 month plans are a better value right now it's all about the cash flow, if you know what I mean. And now that I'm a full member looks like this is gonna be a sleepless night, heh, heh, heh...

What Kind of Guitar do you play? Do you have any others in your stable? Do you lust after anything else specifically? (all of us here have the 'disease' it seems)

I have a fg700s and also an full size accoustic that I picked up in Vietnam (way after the war). I don't know a real lot about accoustics but the Yamaha has a good reputation as a value guitar and the one from Vietnam is way better (sound, playability, looks). I'll probably catch the disease because lately I have been jonesing for an electric of some kind. I also have a uke and a mandolin that were gifted to me, so I'll definately try to do something with them as well.

What is your favorite music to play? How about to listen to? What kind of playing styles would you like to learn or already know?

Mostly accoustic rock, folk, country rock, for both playing and listening. I love to hear and would like to be able to play arrangements for accoustic guitar for songs that are orignally done by a whole band or orchestra.

If there was one goal you could accomplish in your learning journey what would that be? or maybe you have many?

I need to get better! But seriosly I hope to build a long varied song list and be able to put feeling into my playing (that's where the art is, right?) I also like to sing so I hope I can sing and play at the same time - harder than chewing gum and walking. There's also lots of good stuff to do with computer studios.

If you are comfortable share with us your work a little, job, business, whatever you want to say.

These days I'm a network engineer with unfortunately a little extra time on my hands. Over the past few years I've also dabbled in real estate (didn't work out) and the restaurant business (didn't work out). Is there a pattern emerging here?

Anything else you would like to share ? Anything about your family, hobbies outside of Guitar? On the site you will meet everyone from golfers to Gourmet Chef's to car nuts, and sports folk..and everyone in between. Whatever else you may want to add?

I like to eat drink and be merry, then burn it all off doing something "healthy". My body usually hurts. I just try to find a balance between good habits and bad ones. What the heck, if you have no bad habits, that's probably bad for you too.

RicksPick

Sat May 01, 2010 9:09 am

Hello Matt

Nice intro
Good to see you in Target
Hope to see you posting video soon

RicksPick

rapsidy

Tue May 04, 2010 9:25 am

Hi Matt

welcome along, i too am a beginner and got lucky stumbling onto this site after trying many other programmes.

this is truly the bestsite, as i can see and feel the improvement in only a few weeks.

plus the support from the great people on this site is just awesome, so have fun catch u on the boards

Brad from Oz

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic