Introducing pamela to Totally Guitars

beaker

Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:47 pm

Introduce yourself. What is your name and location?

Hi, I'm Pam from Montana. I haven't played my guitar for years...but I heard this song on the radio and I loved it, and it made me want to get my guitar out. "Just Breath" by Pearl Jam was the song. It turns out the song was written by a member of Pearl Jam whose very close friend was killed. The friend is the brother of a woman I used to work with at the hospital. So here's to sore fingers as I try to get back into playing.

Tell us a little about your story, you can tell us your age if your game but not necessary (or age bracket, we have a truly diverse group). When did you take up guitar? How long have you been playing? What led you to look for lessons or help, how is it you ended up here?

I begged my parents for a guitar, finally at age 12 I got one. It was beautiful but not easy to play. The strings were easily a quarter inch from the neck, but I learned chords. My Dad took me for lessons with a guy who played by ear. I had no ear for music. He would tell me, "You know Bill Hess from your school don't you? After two weeks with me he was playing in a band."
After a year, he walked me out to my Dad and said, "I've taught her all I know." I could play one song my heart, "Oh give me a home where the Buffalo Roam" only because I had memorized which syllable of the words got which chord. My Dad was really angry and disappointed. After that I bought song books and played and learned more chords. If I knew the song and had the chords, I could play it.

What Kind of Guitar do you play? Do you have any others in your stable? Do you lust after anything else specifically? (all of us here have the 'disease' it seems)

I play a Giannini steel string guitar. It's the only one I have.

What is your favorite music to play? How about to listen to? What kind of playing styles would you like to learn or already know?

I like folk music, especially Celtic. Dougie McClean is one of my favorite artists, I also like Maureena McKennit.

If there was one goal you could accomplish in your learning journey what would that be? or maybe you have many?

I would like to learn chord progressions< I guess they are called. I would like to be able to do more than just play the straight chord.

If you are comfortable share with us your work a little, job, business, whatever you want to say.

I am in Sterile Processing. We get the instruments down after operations. We clean and sort them, then test them and pack them and autoclave them for the next surgery.

Anything else you would like to share ? Anything about your family, hobbies outside of Guitar? On the site you will meet everyone from golfers to Gourmet Chef's to car nuts, and sports folk..and everyone in between. Whatever else you may want to add?

I love cold weather and snow. We moved here from coastal VA where we had 3 snowfalls in 10 years, had to drive over 3 hours West to reach the mountains to see snow. Now we're in Montana in the heart of the Rocky Mountains. It snowed last Nov. and stayed white through March. Now that's winter. I love walking in the snow and also being in my house by the gas stove sipping tea or hot chocolate and being with my family. I plant tons of flowers in the summer. For me my house is a house in warm weather, but it is a home in the cold weather.

RicksPick

Sat May 01, 2010 7:16 am

Hello Pam from Montana

Welcome to TG
Hope the fingers arnt to sore

RicksPick

rapsidy

Tue May 04, 2010 9:45 am

Hello Pamela

Snow what is that :unsure: ??? never seen it (I live in OZ)

Thats a sad learning story, glad u have comeback to it. you sound a bit like me in how u learn or dont :)

I am only a beginner but this site is amazing, even for slow learners like me

so if u stick at it you will learn your chord progressions and much more.

And all the people on here are very helpful and knowledgable and encouraging so dont be afraid to ask questions.

Brad Welcome

cosmicmechanic

Sun May 16, 2010 10:20 pm

Hi Pamela,

Interesting intro, worthy of a greeting :)

There's lots to get worked up about on this site, it'll grow on you.

You mention not having played in a long time, that's common to many members here.
We fantasize about the progress we could have made in that time.

Anyway gotta set priorities in life ...

By the way, I live in Quebec, so it's funny to hear of someone moving towards the snow, rather than away from it !

Welcome to TG !

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic