Bought a guitar last week

BobR

Sun May 30, 2010 7:49 pm

Hi Steve,

Just wanted to welcome you to the best guitar site. You've already heard all that's here to offer and a few suggestions on where to start.

Good luck!!

Bob

leclercjm1

Sun May 30, 2010 7:54 pm

Hi Steve,
Welcome to TG from Québec Canada.
As many other TG members just said, you have to learn open chords at the first place. By example, learn chord C and E and pratice transition between those two chors, than add another chord and practice going from one the the other, and so on, and learn strumming. Don't think about playing a song to quick, and a song you love but too difficult for your level. Join TG and go step by step through the lessons.
Remember that it's the time and effort you're going to put to it that will do the difference, an hour a day is perfect but your fingers may hurt a little; rest for a day and come back.
Avoid working on too many songs at the same time; you will end up playing just part of them.
Totally Guitars is the best guitar learning web site in the universe but it takes a lot of discipline not to spend more time watching Neil's videos (and reading posts) than practicing.
Well, I guest that's it for now.
jm

Chasplaya

Mon May 31, 2010 12:47 am

Hi Steve Image Welcome to TG from New Zealand mate. Its all been said the most important advice is make that investment in the TARGET programme, all you need and more is in there. By all means check out the free lessons which are awesome but the programme is even better. PLus the beauty of it is, its self paced, plus you choose to learn the songs you like from the programme, although best to stick to your level for a while even although some guys have jumped in and started out higher. And if thats not enough then the advice from the Forum is an added bonus. Also about nonce a month Neil does a live show where we can ask questions direct. I don't know anywhere else that has this level of commitment and service to learning and accomplished guitarists.

See you around

Chas

rapsidy

Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:03 am

welcome from OZ steve

I am a beginner myself of 16 mths joined TG about 2-3 mths ago and as the rest have said there isnt a better programme out there that i know about well worth the dollars and everyone is very very supportive and helpful. Just wish i too had found this when i first started as i would be a lot further along the process than i am now.

Brad

slarryhardy

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:55 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm finding out I can spend all day watching videos or reading about playing a guitar, but with the basic beginner videos here now I plenty to work on.

To answer a question, I bought the cheapest guitar I could find, a Yamaha acoustic, at the BX on base at Ramstein, Germany. Nothing fancy, but I expect it will last me long enough to figure out if I want to trade up once I know what I'm doing.

Thanks again,
Steve

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic