Bought a guitar last week

slarryhardy

Sun May 30, 2010 11:06 am

Hi everyone,

Glad to be here on the site. I picked up my first guitar last week, and I'm hoping to turn it into a life-long hobby playing at home with the family and around a campfire or two.

My question to the masses is "Where to begin?"

Not sure I know enough to ask a sensible question, but it seems I can either learn to play string by string or learn one chord at a time and just strum away. ?? Any theories on the best way to get started?

Thanks,
Steve

Lavallee

Sun May 30, 2010 11:18 am

Hi Steve, welcome at TG from Montreal Canada. You just open the door to a life long hobby.
I would suggest to start by learning the open chords. With those you can play tons of songs.

If you want to invest a little more you should join the TARGET program where you have all the tools to learn the basics because there is more than just learning the chords: how to hold the guitar, both hands position, strumming, etc.. which is all describe in the program and it is cheaper than a private teacher which you would see for half an hour a week (not saying it is not good to see a teacher, but you have access to all the tools here).

You can ask all the questions you have on the forum and someone will help you (whether you are part of Target or not). Hope to see you around.

Marc

beaker

Sun May 30, 2010 11:19 am

Here is my tip. Learn the common 1st position chords, and then learn some easy strumming songs using those chords, this will get you used to changing between them. If you are not a target member, then seek out any of Neil's free lessons, and find the most basic ones, like holding the guitar, and strumming, and basic chords. follow those. Hope this helps you. Beaker.

willem

Sun May 30, 2010 2:04 pm

beaker wrote:
Here is my tip. Learn the common 1st position chords, and then learn some easy strumming songs using those chords, this will get you used to changing between them. If you are not a target member, then seek out any of Neil's free lessons, and find the most basic ones, like holding the guitar, and strumming, and basic chords. follow those. Hope this helps you. Beaker.

Try for example the chord and strumming from ''lucky man'' or ''brown eyed girl''
and for finger pickin '' the house of the rising sun''
these songs have all comon chords in open position
open position is were you don't have to make barree chords,,thats a step further..goodluck and welcome from the Netherlands..

ffsooo3

Sun May 30, 2010 2:29 pm

Maybe try focusing on songs that are Level 1 and Level 2 in the free lesson section. One super easy song is "A Horse With No Name" (Level 2). The entire song consists of 2 chords. And each chord uses just 2 fingers. How easy it that? Good luck and enjoy!

haoli25

Sun May 30, 2010 2:49 pm

Hi Steve and welcome. Your fingertips are going to hurt! Don't worry, it is temporary until you build up some callouses on those fingers. Some very good advice here for you. As suggested, try a few of the FREE lessons here at TG. I also hope that you will consider joining the TARGET program. Neil's detailed instruction will help you learn the proper techniques for playing and then you won't have to go back an "un-learn" some of the bad techniques that many of the rest of us deal with. If you need any help, please don't hesitate to ask. There are great musicians from all over the world here willing to help you.
Tell us more about your new guitar..

Bill Image

neverfoundthetime

Sun May 30, 2010 3:12 pm

Hi from Switzerland Steve. No question, join TARGET a.s.a.p. and go through the beginners lessons and look at the acoustic genius series. Everything you could possible need is here... and Neil is a master teacher and there are hundreds of satisfied TARGET members here ready to help you. You hit the jackpot: what would I have given to have had Neil and TARGET to start with when I first picked up a guitar!!

tom18

Sun May 30, 2010 3:19 pm

Steve,
Greetings from New Jersey and welcome to TG. You've heard enough good advice to get you started. I'd just reiterate that the Target program is the best value I've ever heard of in guitar instruction. I'm sure everyone here will agree. Do consider joining and I look forward to your posts in the forum.
Tom

tom18

Sun May 30, 2010 3:19 pm

Steve,
Greetings from New Jersey and welcome to TG. You've heard enough good advice to get you started. I'd just reiterate that the Target program is the best value I've ever heard of in guitar instruction. I'm sure everyone here will agree. Do consider joining and I look forward to your posts in the forum.
Tom

dekotaj

Sun May 30, 2010 6:37 pm

Hey Steve,

Welcome to TG.Best of luck to you sir.I hope that playing guitar become a passion for you like so many of us here at TG.If you have questions ask them.Good people here to answer them.And sometimes the answers help us all.

Kevin
Northern Illinois

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic