Recently joined total guitars

charlesperrien

Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:11 pm

I learned from some good teachers for two years (1967-69)while in the military. I had a Gibson 6 string I believe and still have the Guild 12 string. I gave a friend the 6 string. :( That was a dumb move on my part. Anyway, In 1970 I bought an acoustic guitar made by Lorenzo Primentel (for taking classical guitar lessons once a week at Loyola University) that I finally got out a few weeks ago. The strings are over 30 years old, but I like the sound and it tunes great.

I forgot most of what I've learned. Stupid me sold all my guitar books and sheetmusic on Ebay years ago. I only have one notebook where I wrote down the notes and chords for about 20 songs.

Fingers are sore of course from trying to relearn some stuff. I'm a finger picker myself. I never did like strumming. :) I know all the basic chords and am getting my memory back on the finger patterns. It has just been a long time...

I want to see the free lessons before I get to Target.

I really liked and still like Peter, Paul & Mary, Gordon Lightfoot, Ian & Sylvia among others.

I'm looking for finger patterns for Four Strong Winds, Leavin' On a Jet Plane, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, and Five Hundred Miles. :cheer: An easy Em7 would be nice but I think I'll just have to use my little finger for that chord. :P

I'm happy to be getting back in playing the guitar. Marriage got in the way, and old friends that I played with moved away from my circle of friends...

Sorry for this long message. Picture is about 10 years old. I look the same except for more gray hair and a few wrinkles. :silly:

Charles Perrien

jayswett

Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:54 pm

Welcome back to the world of guitar playing. Your story is similar to so many of us here at TG. Regarding your old books, don't fret about that. With the worldwide web these days, these just aren't necessary, in my opinion. Definitely check out the free lessons, but it's hard to imagine that you won't find the Target Program the best money you ever spent. Congrats on picking up that guitar again. Looking forward to seeing a video or two of yours in the near future.

dekotaj

Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:17 pm

Charles,

Welcome to TG.Came to the right place to rejuvenate the old finger tips.Look forward to hearing from you on the site.And best of luck with your guitar playing.

Kevin
Northern Illinois

Lavallee

Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:55 pm

Charles , welcome from Montreal Canada, there is a lot of material on the free side, but so much more if you join Target. Whatever you decide you can always ask questions and someone will help

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic