Hi from Tom in Scotland.

tombo1230

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:06 pm

Hi BigBear,
I am a Celtic fan. I don't know anyone who is into curling. Football is our national sport. That's soccer to some. We invented it, the Scots I mean, sadly we don't have a great team at the moment. Looking forward to the World Cup. We were second to Rangers in the league this year, that is not so good! We brought in a manager who just got it wrong. I predicted he was the wrong guy, like our last Scotland Manager, too idealistic in his approach. They both worked together previously, so that says a lot.
You certainly know your way around Scotland. Dumbarton is a little rough around the edges. The river there is called the 'Leven' Edinburgh is a beautiful capital, I love to visit, but rarely do these days.

Tom N.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:23 pm

Tom, thanks for your considered reply. Yes, that's exactly how we've been working. Most of us have been learning it all on the fly from scratch but we're getting there. Sometimes there is still a timing problem even when we use a reference track for all subsequent recordings. Most of us use audacity and Movie Maker or AVS to put things together. I guess you and Bill can talk in code to each other ;-).

tombo1230

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:43 pm

Hi Chris,
I would imagine that sync would be your biggest problem. I will explain how professional videos are made this may help. Groups mime to their cd when shooting a video, so each and every take the tempo and timing is the same, otherwise even varying the timing slightly will be a major problem. The advantages are that you can lay down the cd and edit pictures only. If you need to sync things up you can sync each takes pictures by using the sound to get the pictures in sync. Another advantage is the artists do the same verses and choruses bridges etc each time. So you can do a master wide shot then various other takes and angles to get as much coverage as you need. Luckily most people here just want two or three people playing in time with each other. In theory this is easy as long as you are all using the same reference. If it doesn't work it's because someone is out of sync in their performance, or it hasn't been edited to start at the same point. Hope this helps. Any questions just ask me.

Tom N.

wammer

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:18 pm

Hi Tom In Scotland

From what I read here on this thread your fitting in already (as all do). As you can see you are joining in with a great group. Hope to see you around the forum and will wait on your first video.

Tammy Ontario Canada

tombo1230

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:03 pm

Hi Tammy,
thanks for the nice welcome. 'First Video,' no pressure then. :ohmy: I need to go and get some practice in. :laugh:

Tom N.

BobR

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:14 pm

Hi Tom,

I just wanted to welcome you from Massachusetts. This is a great place you're sure to enjoy.

Bob

tombo1230

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:10 pm

Many thanks Bob. I feel this is a great place to be involved in what we all love to do.
See you around.

Tom N.

tombo1230

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:55 am

Now it's raining :(

Tom N.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:20 am

Thanks for the info Tom. I think that's what most of us have realised we have to do, so it's good to know we are on the right track. I think this was our instruction video about how to record and mix right (you may have missed it as you joined recently)... ;-)

tombo1230

Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:37 am

Good joke, love those cow bells!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic