Hi from Tom in Scotland.

wrench

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:58 pm

Welcome to TG Tom. Some marvelous things happen here with guitars. I'm certain you won't be disappointed. We'll be looking for your first video. They're quite an adrenaline rush if you never recorded yourself before.

Dan

tombo1230

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:03 pm

Thanks Kevin,

Tom N.

tombo1230

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:08 pm

Thanks Dan,
I suppose the secret is to pretend that you are playing to only one person when recording, like your kid or kids. Easier said than done I'm sure. Luckily it's not live and you can do a few takes if you really fluff it up.

Tom N.

haoli25

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:24 pm

Hello Tom, glad you decided to join us here. Neil's instructions are the best on the internet and the membership here are a friendly bunch of great musicians. Your tips, opinions, and questions are always welcome here. Happy playing.

Bill Image

tombo1230

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:31 pm

Hi Chris,
AVS is a pretty good company, they do a lot of nice software. I might download a demo version and see how good it is. It does split edits which are always useful. This kind of software is sometimes a bit fiddly but maybe this one is better.

I am assuming that one person plays their guitar part and sends it to the second person who uses earphones listening to the first person whilst recording their own part? An MP3 player could be used to listen to the first recording, otherwise how would you keep them in sync and at the same tempo in the edit stage? If everyone does their parts without this kind of reference then it is pot luck and unlikely they will match. Another way would be to have a click track going in your ear at the correct and same speed as everyone else. If everyone is in sync then all you are doing is putting the parts together and making life easy. If you are joining multiple takes then this is more difficult but the same rules apply to make it work better. Ideally you nail the guitar parts and the vocal is added whilst listening to the guitar mix at the end. If this is all obvious then sorry for stating the obvious, but I hope it is useful. :)

Tom N.

tombo1230

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:41 pm

Hi Bill,
thanks for the welcome. We are actualy in the same business. I am also in Broadcasting, I am a tv Editor.

You must be pretty good on the guitar with those years behind you, that's impressive!

Hope to speak again.

Tom.

haoli25

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:54 pm

Tom, you mentioned that you are familiar with AVID. Have you also tried FINAL CUT PRO?

Bill

BigBear

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:20 pm

Tom- Great intro except you didn't tell us where you live in Scotland unless I missed it!! I've been all over that beautiful country and enjoyed every second. I personally have supported Scotland by continuing to purchase the national beverage at our local liquor store. Once I acquired a taste for single malt (Macallen), everything else pales in comparison! lol!

Big welcome from Oregon, USA. It's a little rainier here than Florida! lol! In fact, I'll bet Scotland has been dryer this year than Oregon!! Will the rain ever stop?

I hope you enjoy the TARGET program as much as we all have and don't be a stranger on the forum. Guys like me could use your video expertise!

Cheers! :cheer:

tombo1230

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:08 am

Hi Bill,
I have come across Final Cut Pro as it is becoming more popular now. I'ts the sort of programme like Avid, that if you have used either one, you can with a little training use the other. If you edit then you usually know what you are trying to achieve, so it's a matter of finding the tools and buttons to accomplish this.
I believe it is very popular now in the States where Avid used to be king. I work for the BBC in Scotland and we are using the latest Avid setup which is a file based system (allegedly) we still have an ingest area full of decks though. :silly: The system was very unstable at first, but two years down the line it is working fairly successfully! We can send a file with pictures to dubbing and when they are finished with it, it can come back and be edited back into a final edit. All without leaving the system, or it can be sent to playback, studio or transmission, or sent out of the building to other BBC buildings, or it can be put to tape or sent to the digital library. We can browse through every piece of media in the system using a powerfull search engine.

A lot of the BBC are using Final Cut Pro, it is cheap in comparison to Avid which makes it also attractive to the freelance/Independent market. It is Mac based I believe. If I was freelance I would learn it for sure. Infact if I had a mac I would use it at home. I have Avid xpress Pro at home which is pc based and close enough to the full blown thing.I would rather edit with this level of software than fiddle with the amateur editing tools around which aren't that great usually. The drawback to using professional gear especially Avid is that it is fussy what media you feed it. I believe Final Cut is a bit better in that respect.

So in short, yes I know of Final Cut Pro but I don't use it, but I would say it would be my second choice as it is a Pro system and I hear it is pretty good. Is this what you are using? Sorry for the long winded reply :)

Tom.

tombo1230

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:19 am

Hi BigBear,
I live in a town called Renfrew. It's about 5 minutes from Glasgow Airport between Paisley and Glasgow. I was born in Paisley. I am work based in Glasgow but spend a lot of time in Dumbarton working on a film set. It's a one of a kind in Scotland. Sorry I haven't had time to write anything up in my profile yet. I'm still jet lagged from my holidays. Where abouts have you been in Scotland? and yes it's been warm here for ages, no rain for a change.

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic