Hello from VA

pdostrander

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:02 pm

Hi, my name is Phil and I hail from the Northern Virginia area. I’ve owned several guitars for years, but can’t really say that I’ve ever learned to play. My hands and fingers are in rough shape from growing up farming, playing sports and 10 years in the military. For physical therapy my doctor prescribed the guitar. It’s worked pretty well, and I can play ‘Name That Tune’ but I really want to actually play a song all the way through :blush: My music tastes run from Merle Haggard to Metallica, anything with a guitar in it.

Music Junkie

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:06 pm

Hey Phil!

Welcome from Ventura, CA. Glad you found us here. If your aim is to learn more songs and play them all the way through, you are in the right place. I like Merle Haggard myself as well as Metallica. What a range huh? Feel free to ask any questions, and make sure you check out the group area as well. Lots of good stuff there. Also, if you have any specific questions, make sure to check out the questions for TG Live thread floating around. If you get a chance to tune in to one of these, you will not regret it. They are a lot of fun and very informative.

Cheers

Jason

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:08 pm

Hey Phil, welcome from Switzerland. With those hands, you'll have no callus problems practising too much then! Enjoy your time here.

willem

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:16 pm

welcome from the Netherlands,,,this site is growing and growing,,many sports to and some general who teach us acoustic guitar,,and you thought not to work anymore?? i agree with your doctor,,,great therapie and lots of us that use it,,wish you a great yourney..

tom18

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:44 pm

Hi Phil, and welcome from New Jersey. A lot of us have had various hand injuries and find playing the guitar to be good therapy. There's lot's of good information here to speed up the learning process too. Enjoy your journey.
Tom

BigBear

Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:02 pm

Hi Phil and Welcome to the program from The Left Coast in Oregon. Sometimes it's easier to just tell people I live north of Neil and south of Dennis! lol!

The guitar is great therapy not just for the fingers but also the mind. Many of us have hand and finger issues for the same reasons you do! So welcome to the "Messed Up Hands" club! The beauty of the guitar is there almost always a work around of some sort.

Once you get fully frustrated, and you will, just pop on over to this forum and share your experience with the rest of us and you will get tons of moral support if not much useful information! rofl!

Seriously, this is a great site with really great supportive people who help each other any way we can. So don't stay a stranger!

Good luck on your musical journey and happy playin' !!

Cheers! :cheer:

michelew

Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:10 pm

Phil, a big hi from Sydney. Playing the guitar and TG are good for the mind, body and soul. You've come to the right place, TG will help you get get to wherever you want to go on your guitar journey and to have fun doing it. I hope to see you around the forum. Michele

Chasplaya

Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:29 pm

Welcome to TG Phil, as you have seen many of us with similar backgrounds to yours. This is a great supportive site and you will get heaps of encouragement from all the members.
HOpe to see you around.

Chas from New Zealand

Lavallee

Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:30 pm

Hi Phil, welcome from Montreal Canada, . This is a great place to have some ideas nfor your progression. Whatever level you are, you will find the tools to improve. Hope to read you in the forum soon.

Marc

neilo

Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:09 pm

Hi Phil my name is Neilo & i am from England,i am pretty new to this site,the crowd seem very helpful &friendly,i to play name that tune trouble is nobody knows it.hope to hear more from you, Neilo

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic