Hello from MASS

bon712

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:24 pm

HELLO,
My name is Bonnie. I have owned a couple of guitars for about ten years. I have purchased CDs, DVDs, and books to learn the guitar. I haven't really put consistent effort into it until recently. Finally last month I said to myself its now or never.. learn how to play or sell the dust collectors. Iyym motivated to learn but I must say I am pretty clueless.. LOL I didn't even know where to begin. Do I learn all the chord first or just try to learn a song? My friend suggested Night Moves by Bob Seger.. I'm not sure If that's the right thing to be doing but I'm proud to say I have practiced every night...I'm wondering when my fingers will stop hurting ..

Lavallee

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:45 pm

Hi Bonnie, welcome to TG from Montreal Canada. Everybody's fingers hurts at first, if somebody says otherwise, be sure that he lies. It will go away in week or so and then you will be able to longer without ant pain.

Learning all the chords without a song is pretty boring, you must have fun or you will get discourage. I think it is better to learn 2-3 chords like E and Em, A and D which you can play many songs with like Gloria and Wild things. As soon as you are good with those 3 add another one like G and play Bad moon rising or Lucky man and so on.

The beginning is the toughest then it is downhill fun. If you really want to learn, you should consider target, as all the tools to learn are there

Hope to read you in the forum. Let us know about your progress

Marc

haoli25

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:46 pm

Hi Bonnie. Glad to have you with us. I think after a few of Neil's FREE lessons on this site, you will want to hang on to those 'dust collectors'. As soon as you are comfortable, I suggest you sign for the TARGET program. It is great for guitar players of all levels, particularly for people that are new to guitar. It will instruct you in the proper techniques so that you will improve quickly. You will then not have to un-learn some of the bad habits that many of us picked up over the years. In addition to Neil's great lessons, you will find many great musicians from all over the world that are more than willing to help you and answer any questions you might have. You will also find that the members here, in addition to being great musicians, are also really great people. Let us hear from you!

Usually, your fingers will not be quite be so sore after just a couple of weeks of practice.

Bill Image

BobR

Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:03 pm

Hi Bonnie,

I hope you don't get discouraged. As Marc and Bill have said we've all had sore fingers but that will pass after a while. This is a terrific site with so much to offer.

Welcome from Mass too.

Bob

Chasplaya

Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

HI Bonnie and welcome to TG, it only gets easier if you have the will and good assistance, one way or another the assistance will be overwhelming from this site whether you join target or not, although Target is the cream!! The Target programme has good beginners series lessons Acoustic Genius and also in the song list you will find heaps of songs to use to learn with. Best to learn with a song you are familiar with and like, if its not in the list use the Recommend a lesson tab on the menus and submit a request, if it has useful techniques for learners Neil may select it, although there are loads already in that list. The Forum is also a great place to get help, some of it useful even lol.

Look forward to seeing you around.

Hey you didn't mention what part of the world you are from or what music taste you have or kind of guitar, we tend to be nosey that way lol

Chas from New Zealand.

tovo

Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:33 am

My guess is the "Mass" is Massachusetts? I would shorten it to MASS as well!

Anyway Bonnie, welcome aboard from Australia. You can certainly improve your playing rapidly with the advice and resources available here, and there is a good bunch of people as well.

tom18

Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:15 am

Hi Bonnie,
Welcome aboard from New Jersey. I grew up in western Mass and still visit often. Don't give up on your guitar playing. You'll find that everything you need to get up to speed is right here. Enjoy,
Tom
Pink Floyd's 'Wish You were Here' is good tune to get started on. It's available in the free lessons, but as other have said above the Target program is highly recommended.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:29 am

Hi Bonnie from Switzerland. Great beginner lessons here... if you're going to start, get the best start you can and join TARGET. Great folks here too so I hope you enjoy everything. And now Chas knows that MASS is short for Massachusetts so you've helped one of our most esteemed members on his geography too! ;-)

michelew

Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:35 am

Hi from Sydney Bonnie. If you're anything like me you'll love it here. There are so many great songs to learn (that include lots about techniques and such) that you'll have trouble deciding which song you want to start with. Have fun.

Michele

willem

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:03 am

Hello Bonnie,,''its now or never'''thats from a song,,can't remember,,all the subscribers and TARGET members have clean there dusty's and hit them again,,witch song to learn?? well maby you can impress your friend by learning that song he called,,you can learn here many technic's (strumming,,finger pickin,,flat pickin,etc),,what you think off ''lucky man"? its a free lesson.i can recomment to join the target programm,they explain the song more in detail,,on this moment we have hundreds of songs there and coming,its up to you were you start,but its better to start at the beginnig,,but it is also nice to go in a song you like,,wish you much pleaser with the TG adventure,,don't be afraid of asking question's, there are lots of folks that have time to awnser..

Willem...Netherlands..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic