Hello From Damian!

soerry

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:51 am

[center]I just recently started playing guitar. About a month ago. My dad tried to teach me to play, but when I had to tune the guitar, I broke the strings. ><

Now I have to wait for him to teach me how to string a guitar, I've tried it on my own multiple times.

Anyhow, a bit about me:
My name's Damian and I'm 14. I go to karate and am a red belt/black tip. My sister is an amazing guitar player and I want to be as good as her. We have an acoustic and an electric guitar, though I've been using the electric one. :D

I can only play very basic songs, like twink twinkle little star or Mary had a little lamb.

I've not looked in the site far yet, so I don't know if they have a "How to String Your Guitar Video"

And a few questions I have:

-Is an acoustic or electric guitar better to start?
-Should I use a pick or not?
-How often long should I practice? (I like to schedule practice)

Obviously I have more, I just can't think of any right now!
Anyway, I already adore this site. ^^

-Very Excited,
Damian[/center]

Lavallee

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:19 am

Hi Damian, welcome to the TG site from Montreal Canada. You will find a lot of help in the forum with any questions you have. The free lesson section have many songs you can work on.

If you have both guitars, it is better to learn from an acoustic guitar and get a good foundation. It is a little harder on the fingers at first but your hand position will be better. At first your fingers tip will hurt when practicing, do not over do it. Do not practice for your fingers to hurt a lot and then not being able to practice for 2-3 days. So at the beginning rather then time go with your finger sensitivity, you will feel that you can work a bit more at every practice session. In a couple weeks, it will go away.

You can use a pick but you can also pinch your index and thumb and strum like if you were holding a pick (the invisible pick as Neil calls it)to make it easier at first. Plus you will not feel desperate if you cannot find your pick when practicing

Regarding stringing of the guitar, visit this link:

I think you would benefit to get a tuner/metronome to help adjusting your strings on your own.

Great to have you here.

Marc

BobR

Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:23 pm

Hi Damian,

I just wanted to welcome you to the TG site. I am glad you're exited because there is plenty here to learn. I would echo what Marc said about starting on the acoustic and not to overdo playing.

Bob
from Massachusetts

willem

Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:35 pm

Welcome from the Netherlands here, I'm with what Marc said,,i don't want to confuss you,,have good TG yourney..

BigBear

Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:53 pm

Hi Damian! Welcome to the site from Oregon! I started learning to play the guitar when I was 14 too and now I've played for over 40 years! It has been a life-long passion of mine.

Tell your Dad or Mom that for your birthday or Christmas you want a subscription to the TARGET program here at Totally Guitars. Do this instead of taking private lessons which are much more costly. Then learn everything you can on this site about playing. We have an outstanding section called Acoustic Genius which will very quickly get you beyond Mary Had a Little Lamb and into playing songs you know.

By the way, learn to play an acoustic guitar first. Then someday jump to an electric which will seem very easy to play after learning on a wooden box! You can play an acoustic anywhere, anytime. Not so with an electric. I have both and an acoustic is just more fun and practical.

good luck learning this wonderful instrument and let us know how we can help you with any problems you have. The guitar is not an easy instrument to learn but it is really worth it!

Cheers! :cheer:

tovo

Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:50 pm

Hi Damian from Australia. I agree with Bear, get a Target subscription and you will be on your way to being a good player like your sister. I hope you will stick with it and get a good practice routine. There are plenty of good players here to help you. This community is about helping people get better. You won't find people putting you down on this site, that's pretty rare.

Welcome aboard.

RicksPick

Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:07 pm

Hello and welcome Damian

The guys have given you the advice

Good luck on your journey

RicksPick
UK

lueders

Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:00 pm

Welcome Damian,

I think you'll like it here should you choose to stay. I haven't been here long, so I am not as qualified as a lot of the others to sing the high praises of TG...but I will anyways. The catalog of materials and resources is unparalled. You'll save a fortune $$$! Buy one or two guitar magazines with hard to read and understand tablature and and you've already paid for a TG membership for a month. And with TG you get: a supportive community, expert instruction, feedback, and enough music to keep you busy for a long long time...

Hope to see you around,

lueders

Central Illinois

Chasplaya

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:58 pm

Hi Damian, Welcome to TG Image Its all been said about this being a great place and IMHO the guys are quite correct. Also correct about starting with acoustic and good advice from Marc get a tuner/metronome you will find it invaluable. As for changing strings there are several ways to do that Marcs suggestion is good but another is on the Taylor site with two easy to follow videos. Good luck .

http://www.taylorguitars.com/see-hear/d ... px?id=1004

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic