Hello Again! About To Pull The Trigger!

AcousticAl

Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:35 am

Welcome from near Toronto, Doug.

There's no shortage of people here that are eager to help you on your musical journey.

See you around!

dleewebb

Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:40 am

Thanks Al, I have read several threads on the topic of Guitar Pro 6. Some posts seem positive others seem negative. I watched Neil's video involving adding Guitar Pro 6 files to lessons. As a new member whose skills are basic, would it be a good for me to get Guitar Pro 6, or is it something that can wait? I do want to become faster reading TAB and I do want to learn more about reading music. I'm not sure what to do with this. If it will help I'll buy it. If it's more for advanced musicians or extremely difficult to use I'll skip it...any advice?

AcousticAl

Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:42 pm

dleewebb wrote:
Thanks Al, I have read several threads on the topic of Guitar Pro 6. Some posts seem positive others seem negative. I watched Neil's video involving adding Guitar Pro 6 files to lessons. As a new member whose skills are basic, would it be a good for me to get Guitar Pro 6, or is it something that can wait? I do want to become faster reading TAB and I do want to learn more about reading music. I'm not sure what to do with this. If it will help I'll buy it. If it's more for advanced musicians or extremely difficult to use I'll skip it...any advice?
Hi Doug,

I haven't purchased GP6 yet and don't know if I will or not. I seem to get along fine with Neil's pdf files. Others on here like it though-- I think there's a group on guitar pro if you have specific questions about it or want advice on whether to buy.

TGMatt

Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:52 pm

dleewebb wrote:
Welcome to TG..

We get a small commission on Guitar Pro..but I would stay well clear of it for now as I learned early on your hands are full with the theory courses we put together along with al the other material..you will know a point when you recognize that you are ready to progress to this kind of detail and step...For now my advice would be to go through all the theory lessons and strumming courses first and then consider it..

Cheers

Matt

Lavallee

Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:27 pm

Matt and Al's advices are good. I will just say that I like Guitar Pro. When you look at PDF file you have a static sheet which is not really obvious to get the rhythm at the beginning. Of course Neils videos are following the sheets. Guitar Pro will play the notes while highlighting the tabs (and standard notation). So you will hear the melody the PDF sheet is showing. You can slow down a short section to have a better understanding. You sites where you can download for free all kinds of songs.

There are a lot of features but this is mainly how I use it. But it is not perfect because it is dependent of the sheet you are loading, if the sheet is not well done, it will not be helpful. Some strumming songs are not always representative as well because the strum strokes in GP do not sound like a guitar strum but you can have an idea of the rhythm. For me who plays mainly finger picking this is not a big issue, but it might be for you. Of course it does not teach you how to play like the Genius section does.

To see a good demo of how it works (the 4th shows the full song being played), look in the Guitar Pro group, as Al mentioned, and look at the 4 video section demo that Chasplaya did. It is very well done. It is not a marketing promotion but done by someones who likes the software.

GP is good for me because I use it mainly to help memorized and to have a better understanding of a song, but ultimately I always revert to Neil accurate guidance.

Marc

AndyT

Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:14 pm

Does a writer need Word (or other word processor) to learn how to write? No, but it can help or it can hinder.

Guitar Pro is a great program. The more I learn about music in general the more I love it. I've heard many times people say that its a music program that guitarists can use, but the more I learn, the more I realize just how truly specific it really is for guitar. It is designed to be usable for guitar players of almost all levels. Once you get to the point of reading TAB or any kind of sheet music, its time to get and start using GPro. The more you learn, the better it is and the more you can do with it.

tovo

Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:55 am

Hey Doug. I kinda missed your intro as I was away for a few days. Welcome aboard. I read this whole thread with interest and I think it's fair to say that you have really taken your time to make a decision on how best to invest in your guitar playing and I think that's pretty wise. I also think you certainly won't regret it as the resources are terrific. I like many people have looked at other offers, some using very good technology to teach, but this place has something that feels good about it. I sure can't stay away myself.

I hope you will be active and look forward to your participation.

Chasplaya

Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:44 am

Hi Doug, Concerning Guitar Pro, well no secret I'm a fan I've been using it since ver2. something or other. The demo Marc (Lavalee) mentions is made with ver 5 although the basic principles are the same, ver 6 is an improvement as it does a little bit more musically than the previous versions. The most useful functions are for playing with the metronome it has and the ability to loop sections at a time and also to slow the tempo. There are loads of free tabs around for it, but do take care as some are not that flash. I have transcribed to it direct from purchased music sheets, and transcribed my own from listening and watching others. AS for PDF you can use the auto scroll function (Shft+Ctrl+H) with Adobe to scroll the music through as you play saves taking breaks to change pages, the tempo is controlled by the number pad, higher the number the faster it scrolls.

Guitar pro has a free demo, it doesn't come with the best sound options in demo mode but you can get an idea if it is useful. And i'm not on commission lol

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic