Hello Again! About To Pull The Trigger!

dleewebb

Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:34 am

Hi! My name is Doug. I'm relatively new here. I found this site through a post at Acoustic Guitar Magazine about five months ago. I have been lurking around Totally Guitars sampling free lessons, reading testimonials and forum posts. I'm about to join the Target Program. I have been on the fence for a couple of months now and I'm about to pull the trigger. I introduced myself when I initially registered, but after watching the orientation videos, I thought that it might be a good idea to re-introduce myself. My interest in playing guitar has recently been resurrected. I have been gathering my resources and exercising my muscle memory in an effort to determine if I can make a serious effort to regain skills that have remained dormant for quite some time. I have invested in a nice guitar and amp. I have several reference books and DVD's, and I have just recently begun to take lessons from a local guitar teacher who is a very good musician and teacher. I have a good feeling about Neil and Totally Guitars. It seems like another fair-sized chunk of money, but it surely seems that it could be more than worth it. (I know that it's not much when you break it down, but I've never done anything like this online before...) I'm thinking that with some decent equipment, Totally Guitars, live lessons, some written and computer resources, support from some buddies of mine, and encouragement from my wife, friends, and family, and perhaps some additional maturity, and self-discipline I'm going to take the best shot I've got to make some progress with this "guitar-thing." Totally Guitars is looking like it would be a wise investment...

tom18

Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:00 pm

Doug,
Welcome again, and do give Target a chance. Like you, I've invested in books, DVDs and a local teacher. While all of them have been helpful, the ability to replay lesson videos was the one thing I was missing. This site is great for that reason alone but there's a very helpful community as well. I've never joined Facebook or the other social networking sites on the internet either (with the exception of LinkedIn), so I was hesitant at first as well. Give it a try, I don't think you'll regret it.
Tom

sws626

Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:17 pm

Hi Doug,

Welcome! Sounds like you're well set to make the guitar a big part of your life again. As someone who was in a similar situation six months ago, I can tell you without reservation that finding this site and joining the Target program is the single best thing I've done for improving my guitar playing and having more fun while doing it. The free lessons are great, which you know already. The Target lessons are even better. And, of course, the forum is a terrific place to get immediate feedback on all sorts of guitar related questions. The annual subscription is really pretty reasonable when compared with the prices of DVD and books. I spent money on both, but found my time so completely filled with material on this site that I've yet to open any of them more than casually. So go ahead and pull the trigger or take the plunge. You'll not regret it.

Then let us know more about your new guitar and the sort of music you like.

-Stuart

dennisg

Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:18 pm

Hi, Doug, and welcome to TG. It may have been one of my posts you saw in the Acoustic Guitar magazine forum, since I used to evangelize there quite regularly.

You should know that everyone is skeptical, to one degree or another, about the effectiveness of online lessons. But I have to tell you that it works -- and I believe that it works at least as well as in-person lessons. Think about it: an in-person lesson gives you about 30 to 60 minutes of instruction per week. And once the lesson is over, you're expected to have integrated new techniques into your playing in order to move on to the next week's lesson. In other words, the instructor controls the pace, the flow, and the content of the information you receive.

But with the Target program, you control how the information is delivered to you. If, for example, you want to watch a specific technique over again or listen to a pertinent piece of information multiple times, you just rewind -- as often as you feel is necessary. Or if the current lesson feels too basic or too advanced, just move to the next or previous lesson. Or if you'd like to put aside the lessons for a while and work on a specific song, you can do that, too, then resume the lessons later -- or do it all simultaneously; whatever your brain and available time can handle.

Everyone wonders if the monthly expenditure will be worth it, so you're not alone in that thought. But three months from now, when you see what you can do on the guitar, you'll probably think it's the best investment in your guitar playing that you ever made.

Good luck.

dleewebb

Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:02 pm

Thank you for the encouragement. I appreciate the thoughtful comments. In five months of "lurking" I have gotten the idea that there are a lot of nice people around here. I would like to be clear on one point. If I understand correctly, once you subscribe your subscription is automatically renewed when it expires. Generally speaking, I hate when magazines do that and I always call the subscription departments of magazines that I subscribe to and request to be invoiced. I recently insisted that my XM/Sirius Satellite radio subscriptions not be automatically renewed. If I subscribe to the Target program via Paypal how does TG renew it automatically? I didn't know that you could do that with Paypal...

lmc831

Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:32 pm

Hi Doug,
Welcome to TG! Like you, I had been very hesitant about joining any type of guitar site. I would wonder if they were worth the money and was concern about putting my credit card number in cyber space. Its been over a year now since I joined Tg, and I really really like it. Great lessons....great teacher and staff. The community here are supportive and helpful. You will find out in time that this guitar site is one of the best. Good luck on your journey!

Lisa

Lavallee

Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:42 pm

Hi Doug, welcome to TG from Montreal Canada, I am sure you will be happy with your decision, I have been here since the beginning, and you just can't beat having a teacher at your disposal 24 hrs a day. If you have a question about payment, click on the support bottom and ask TG direct, they are very supportive.

Marc

Chasplaya

Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:05 am

Hi Doug, Its been said once bitten you won't regret it. I use Paypal I don't pretend to know exactly how it works but its automatically paid as long as I remember to have cash in my credit card account. Admin will give you the answer via a support ticket though.

Looking forward to your contributions.

Chas

AndyT

Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:19 am

Doug,

Paypal has a subscription function that works just like it sounds. It does an automatic payment from your account every time it comes due. The easy way to prevent this is to purchase single blocks and when you suddenly can't get into the site, just purchase your next one. You can even buy a years access at a time which in your case would be the optimal choice. No auto-pay and no constantly having to buy more time.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:48 am

Hi Doug. TARGET is so worth it! Online lessons have so many advantages over live lessons and over time. You'll save so much and learn so much more. Take the dive into the pool... and happy swimming.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic