Hi from LA (Lower Alabama)

blindshine

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:50 pm

Hi: My name is Michael. My user name is a take-off on the delta blues guitarists of the early twentieth century (Blind Willie McTel, Blind Boy Fuller, Blind Lemon Jefferson, etc.), and a name I was called in college. I lost my sight three years ago from an eye infection after surgery. and was forced to retire from pharmacy. I began playing guitar at this time and took lessons for a little over a year. I am fairly familiar with the fret board and have moved into fingerstyle guitar, especially jazz arrangements. My passion is solo fingerstyle and I just sweated through months learning Classical Gas. I learned it without the benefit of tabs, relying on audio instruction. There are thousands of good arrangements I could learn if I could see the tabs, but I must rely on audio tutorial until I am competent enough to do my own arranging and transcribing, and such audio instruction is limited in my experience. From what I have seen of lesson provided here, Neil does a good job of explaining well enough for me to follow with no difficulty. I have high hopes of moving toward my goal with the help of this site and all you guys may offer.

If you can offer any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Michael

BigBear

Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:03 pm

Michael- welcome to Totally Guitars from Oregon. I'm very sorry to hear of your eyesight loss and greatly admire your commitment to take on the guitar. Although this will be a big challenge you have some real pioneers who became incredible guitarists and musicians despite this limitation.

Please let us know if we can ever help you with any guitar-related problems. This is a very close knit community with many, many helpers!

Best wishes and happy playin'

Cheers! :cheer:

TGMatt

Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:38 pm

Michael thanks for posting mate...welcome to TG..

As I disclosed to you privately the next few days we are working on some very unique stuff that will impact you and any other folk who have sight challenges..

Neil and I have talked about this in some depth, he has taught a number of folk with a range of sight difficulties and we have some big news coming in this specific area soon.

So again welcome, you will find many supportive and helpful people here..

Cheers

Matt

6stringbostic

Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:54 pm

hi michael and welcome!

i too admire you for taking this on! you've found a great resource here, and it sounds like those smart guys running tg have some good stuff for you coming up.

hey i was born and raised in la - mobile specifically. what part of la u in?

i'm in the "real" la now - well actually orange county just south of la...

keep strummin and pickin!

tovo

Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:55 pm

Michael welcome aboard from Adelaide Australia. I think it's safe to assume that you are using a speech software to hear the replies? That's simply a great innovation for the sight impaired.

I'd sure like to hear your progress on Classical Gas if you are inclined to post it, that's a major undertaking.

You asked for suggestions and the only one I have right now is to stick around, enjoy the community here and participate as much as you are inclined.

Again, welcome.

haoli25

Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:16 pm

Welcome Michael. It is great to have you with us here at Totally Guitars. If we can help you at all, just ask.

Bill

sws626

Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:43 pm

Hi Michael,

Welcome from London -- though originally from Tuscaloosa, so probably not too far from where you are now. Great to have you hear and I'm sure you will find a lot of benefit from Neil's instruction and from the forum.

I know there is a braille system for transcribing music and I've seen some chord transciptions, but I don't know whether there is a braille system equivalent guitar tablature. I did once meet some one who specializes braille music for guitar (http://www.guitarbraille.blogspot.com/) and I'm sure there must be other alternatives to waiting for detailed audio instruction.

That said, and as you've already discovered, Neil does a great job of talking through the songs in the Target program, so you're sure to find a lot of material to learn from.

-Stuart

BobR

Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:24 pm

Hi Michael,

Just wanted to welcome you aboard. TG is a really great place to be.

Enjoy,
Bob from Massachusetts.

Chasplaya

Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:26 am

Hey Michael welcome to TG from Chas in New Zealand Great choice in coming here enjoy your time and don't be afraid to join in the discusions on the forums.

AndyT

Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:14 am

You know, I was thinking that Neil does a lot of "Like this" and shows you kind of stuff, but as I recall, he also tells you what he's doing at the same time. So, even if you can't see it, you can still visualize it.

Welcome to TG.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic